Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-24-2002, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Getting Bar:Beat lined up with hand drawn MIDI drums

This was done with tempo set to a default 120 because it didn't matter.

Mark, it does matter, if you know the song's tempo, you should definetely set your grid according to that BPM! For finding tempo, load it into Acid 3.0 (if you have it) and the new Beatmapper tool will automatically find it for you.

Alternatively, you can try to isolate 1 bar of the song and use the Identify Beat command (it's in the manual), to find the tempo of the whole track, assuming it doesn't drift in certain parts.

Of course, there's always the 'play it by ear' method of using a midi-click and try to line it up with the song as perfect as possible.

Once you have that done, set your new tempo so that your grid marks line up to the track, and find a downbeat spot on the song and line it up to the bar.

Then, you'll have an easier time getting your midi-drums to line up! Use the 'Quantize/beginning of notes', or select a group of recorded midi data and use the 'quantize region' from the Edit menu (this might be an audio only feature, dunno?, but I use it often for splicing up audio drum loops).

good luck!

pk
Old 02-24-2002, 01:36 PM

pk_hat,
Hi. Thanks for helping. Well, all I meant was the tempo didn't matter when I ripped the song into PTLE. Not that it doesn't matter! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

OK, so I grabbed a little section that seem like a measure, got it to loop play so it sounds right, then used 'Identify Beat' in PTLE. It tells me 101.99, so I assume that 102BPM is close enough for what I want to do. I go to the MIDI menu, say 'Change Tempo' and PTLE inserts a new tempo marker with 102, but it doesn't change the Bar:Beats lines.

What am I doing wrong.

The drift/quantize stuff doesn't bother me. When I get this fixed I'm just going to blow all of the original audio away and play it all myself.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-24-2002, 02:03 PM

Go to the very beginning of the song, or change the tempo at 1|1|00.
If you select 'change tempo' and your cursor is in a random spot, it will set the new grid from that point on only.
I'm only taking a guess in regards to this problem you mentioned.

Make sure you're on Bars/Beats mode, change the tempo from the very beginning of the project and you should be set.

I hope this helps a little, post again and let us know if that worked for you.

pk
Old 02-24-2002, 02:46 PM

pk_hat,
Yes, I think you're getting me closer now. I deleted all the new tempo changes that had gotten inserted, wen back to the beginning, changed the tempo and the Bar:Beats are changing. Cool. Thanks!

Unfortunately (but not a big deal) my drum beat programming was done to match the song, not the grid, so I'll have to go back and move the beats to line up with the new timebase. Not a big deal.

Thanks for your help!!

Cheers,
Mark
Old 02-25-2002, 12:40 AM

Default Getting Bar:Beat lined up with hand drawn MIDI drums

Hi,
(I do have my manual open but it isn't helping yet...)

OK, I ripped a song into PTLE that I'm playing with for practicing my keyboard skills. (And I just wanted to learn the song!) This was done with tempo set to a default 120 because it didn't matter.

Now I'm playing with editing some MIDI drum patterns to go along with the song. The drum patterns are working, but they do not line up with the current Bar:Beat markers.

How do I select a few measures of the drums, and then force the Bar:Beat markers to line up with my MIDI drum beats?

Thanks,
Mark