Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2015, 12:00 PM

Default Pro Tools 12 (Minor) Issues, What Are Yours...

1) Sometimes when I start PT, the Templates in Dashboard are grayed out. It may only be when I toggle from "Recent" to "Create". Workaround: Uncheck and Check "Create From Template". (Also, is it just me, or have you noticed that Dashboard's GUI doesn't match the rest of the PT GUI? It almost looks like something from Windows 10.)

2) There is a thread on this in the PT 11 Forum and, when I used PT 11 only happened to me once, but in PT 12 it happens every time. On Windows, when you minimize PT, you cannot click the PT Icon on the Taskbar and maximize PT, nothing happens. Alt+Tab to toggle between screens also doesn't maximize PT. Workaround: Hover the mouse over the PT Icon to bring up the Peek for PT, then right click on the Peek and choose Restore or Maximize.

3) There's a thread on this too in the PT 11 Forum. Before PT 11 on Windows, in 10 and before, when you brought up the Bounce Dialogue there was no place to name the file, but, when you clicked the Bounce Button, you were presented with a dialogue box that allowed you to navigate to where you wanted the file to be saved, showed you all the files in that location and gave you a box to name the file. You could even click on a file in the folder and either overwrite it or use its name to name the new file. Now in PT 11 and 12, you name the file in the original Bounce Dialogue and use the Choose Location Button to navigate to where you want the file to go. Unfortunately, when you navigate to the folder you want the file placed in, you cannot see any of the files already in that folder. I and others would really like back the ability to see and use all the files in the chosen folder. Workaround: Open through File Explorer the folder you are going to place the bounced file so you can see the files already there. However, obviously, you can't click to replace or use the name of any file in that folder, just see what's there.

4) Already posted and acknowledged by Avid in another thread in this PT 12 Forum. The Auto/Input Only Monitoring Button to the right of the Transport is missing. Workaround: Go to Track and toggle between Auto/Input Only Monitoring. (You can also use Alt/Option+K, but you won't see what mode you're in.)

What issues are you having with Pro Tools 12 and in what OS?

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-30-2015, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 (Minor) Issues, What Are Yours...

I'm on Mac OS X but your issue #3 above is the same on Mac. It really slows me down, as I am used to saving files with the same name but an incremental version number, and I'm constantly typing in the whole name now instead of just clicking and changing the last digit.

The other new behaviour in 11 & 12 that bugs me is having to disable and re-enable the Video Engine nearly every time I import a new video file into the session, otherwise video plays as a slide-show of random freeze-frames. I updated to 12 in hopes that some of the flakiness of 11 (arbitrary extended beach-balls etc.) would be corrected, but so far I can find no differences between them at all.

Rig 1: 2.8GHz Macbook Pro PT 12.7.1 Logic 10.3.2 Scarlett 18i20
Rig 2: 2.66 QuadCore Intel Xeon Logic 10.2.0 Scarlett 18i20 PTHD10.3.10
Old 04-30-2015, 12:48 PM

Are these bugs reported on Ideascale for pt12?

Wave-T.com
Old 04-30-2015, 01:20 PM

Not only Ideascale but 12 users need to be reporting all problems to Avid support.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:15 PM

Right. 12 users with a support plan should use it.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-30-2015, 05:12 PM

I'm running Win 8.1 Pro and #2 doesn't seem to be an issue on my rig.
I can max and min without a problem. I run it without aero and in classic mode.

#3 however, is a major PITA.

On a Mac running Yosemite 10.10.3 (test rig), if you're running "use dark menu and Dock", the icon for the application manager is hidden (ie: it doesn't switch over to a white icon.) It's still there though if you hover over it. minor, minor gripe.

Still coming to terms with Dashboard. I'm thinking that I'll just leave it off.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:36 AM

PT12HD here on a maxed out trash can Mac Pro. Bought 12 to see if it was more stable than 11.3.1 which tended to crash a lot in my experience.

Two quick things I've noticed (and other than a new start screen I don't see much of anything different).

- Wondering if this is specific to the mouse I use (Apple Magic Mouse) but I can no longer scroll through plug-ins with a flick - have to drag the mouse down through the menu. SLOW.

- Noticing GUI issues with redraw when you scroll through tracks. (half the track is missing until you zoom or mess with the track) This used to happen with one of the other versions of 10 or 11 but hadn't been noticing it in the last version of 11. Hard to keep track of versions... sorry.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:54 AM

It's really hard to report a bug until you've figured out what triggers it. At present, I have issues with the Video Engine that are usually associated with importing a new video file, but there are other issues (like tracks with audio files on them that just don't play back at all until the system is rebooted) which I can find no reliable triggers for.

I switched over to a completely new computer, OS, and HDX-in-a-chassis all at once, so there are such a myriad of variables that tracking down the causes (or even reproducible symptoms) seems daunting.

Rig 1: 2.8GHz Macbook Pro PT 12.7.1 Logic 10.3.2 Scarlett 18i20
Rig 2: 2.66 QuadCore Intel Xeon Logic 10.2.0 Scarlett 18i20 PTHD10.3.10
Old 05-01-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
3) Unfortunately, when you navigate to the folder you want the file placed in, you cannot see any of the files already in that folder. I and others would really like back the ability to see and use all the files in the chosen folder.
I can see the files that are already in the folder here, but I can't click on one to overwrite it.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:29 PM

What OS/Version are you on and what version of Pro Tools (I know this is the 12 forum, just checking). I'm on Windows 8 as is another poster above and another poster above is on OS X 10.10.2 and we all as well as many others cannot see any files in the Bounce Folder.

Thanks,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction