Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2012, 07:37 AM

Default Problems with Novation Impulse in PT 10.3.1

I’m using Reaper 4.26 and Pro Tools 10.3.1 Both work well. But when I want to install or configure a midi contoller like Novation Impulse using Novation software Automap in Pro Tools, at the moment to choose a peripheral (HUI) and press ok, Pro Tools freezes!
I tried to right click the Pro Tools icon and select 'run as administrator' (Windows 7 Sp1) but nothing changes.

Novation support told me to ask you guys for support!

I got Automap version 4.5 installed and Impulse works well in Reaper but not in Pro Tools.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Problems with Novation Impulse in PT 10.3.1

Hi,

I am having the EXACT same problem, only with the Novation Nocturn plug-in controller (also uses Automap HUI)! I thought it was the controller, so I tried adding a non-HUI, non-Automap/Novation device and got the same result. The instance I click "OK", Pro Tools freezes and I have to go into the Task Manager to close it out.

Did you ever find a way to fix this problem? Whatever is going wrong with your setup is also happening with my setup.

www.pyroshows.com
Old 01-23-2013, 10:49 AM

Hi,

I am having the EXACT same problem, only with the Novation Nocturn plug-in controller (also uses Automap HUI)! I thought it was the controller, so I tried adding a non-HUI, non-Automap/Novation device and got the same result. The instance I click "OK", Pro Tools freezes and I have to go into the Task Manager to close it out.

Did you ever find a way to fix this problem? Whatever is going wrong with your setup is also happening with my setup.

www.pyroshows.com
Old 01-24-2013, 04:43 AM

Hi,

No, sorry it is still the same old story, PT freezes. But at least I can use the Impulse 61 as a regular Midi keyboard only to record in PT.

I still don't known what is the problem, and where it does come from.
I tried Avid and Novation support, but they can't help!
Old 02-06-2013, 01:32 AM

Talking Re: Problems with Novation Impulse in PT 10.3.1

FIGURED IT OUT!

I knew it had something to do with my new Novation Nocturn controller and/or the Automap software because I used to setup my Roland MIDI keyboard in PT10 without any trouble (using the same "add Peripheral" method). After installing Automap and trying to run the Nocturn, I could no longer add ANY device through the "Add Peripheral" menu in PT without freezing/locking everything up as soon as I clicked "OK". I got tired of staring at my control surfaces/MIDI keyboards and hopelessly dreaming of actually using them...

So, after hours of uninstall/reinstall/uninstall of PT and Automap, I could not seem to get the friggin' AutomapHUI and MIDI ports off my computer entirely (although I had uninstalled the program) because the ports were still showing up in PT as available input/output options when I went to the Peripheral menu. I decided to bravely venture into my Windows registry in hopes of tracking down anything that said "Novation" or "Automap" and deleting it. I found a few straggling folders (and deleted them) under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER > SOFTWARE > Novation (or Automap)" and maybe another under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE". However, after going back into PT, I still had no luck adding a Peripheral in w/out experiencing the "Instant Freeze of Death" when clicking "OK".

So, I went back into the registry (this time not so bravely, but very frustrated) and solved the problem! I checked in the "default" Windows audio device folder (see link below to a PDF screenshot of my computer for help on finding it in your registry) for Automap and there it sat! There were a few instances of it, such as "AutomapHUI" and "AutomapMIDI". Regardless, I deleted every single one of them (followed by an evil laugh, of course) that mentioned the word "Automap"! Since I had already uninstalled the Automap software at that point, I went ahead and restarted Windows (just to be safe), started PT, went to add a MIDI Peripheral and finally, "AutomapHUI" (and AutomapMIDI) had vanished! I added my Roland MIDI keyboard using the Roland MIDI in/out ports, placed 27 lit cigarettes in my mouth, inhaled, died, returned from the dead, and clicked "OK"...it worked! The keyboard added successfully! Feeling uncharacteristically good about myself, I then closed PT, re-downloaded the Automap software, plugged in the Nocturn controller, re-started PT, added the Nocturn via "AutomapHUI" in/out ports in Peripherals, decided against the cigarette thing due to the previous experience, and TA-DA...I now had a working Novation Nocturn controller in Pro Tools 10 (ver. 10.3.3)!

The only thing I can think of (causing the problem) is that I had installed Automap initially while I had PT 10.3.2 installed (but never ran Automap), then updated to PT 10.3.3 and noticed I could no longer add a MIDI Peripheral (at all) w/out freezing PT instantly. Who knows! I just know that things now work as they should and I'm happy with that!

**See the link below for a .PDF screenshot when trying to locate the correct folder in your Windows registry to delete the "Automap" entries...

PDF Automap Registry Delete Screenshot

Hope you have the same outcome as I did!

www.pyroshows.com
Old 11-01-2014, 09:43 AM

Earlier I had issues which used to display "Pro Tools not able to communicate with HUI" error message that got solved after running pro tools as admin. I am having the exact problem now. Peripherals window freezes after clicking on Okay.

Is there a particular order for installing third party plugins and Automap ? Should automap be installed before installation of plugins or after ?
Old 11-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Focusrite

Hi Sagar19723,

Have you installed the latest version of Automap? You can install your new plugins with automap already installed. Try unselecting your plugins in software setup in automap, than installing the new plugins. After installing the new plugins run through the software set up for PT and be sure to scan your plugins.