Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2011, 07:24 PM

Default help with decision

i am going to start playing at church again in a couple of weeks and i am currently using the eleven rack. to play live i will need a midi pedal, so my question is which one should i go with (yes, some options are overkill):

1) midi pedal - behringer with 11prom, or rocktron midi mate or any midi pedal?

2) pod hd500 - can use as a midi pedal or stand alone rig if for some reason the eleven rack fails.

3) digitech gsp1101 with control pedal - same as above except that i can load user IR's and it integrates better with the eleven rack if i want to use both together.

those are the three options i have been tossing around for days. help please?
Old 10-29-2011, 09:23 PM

Default Re: help with decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by singtall View Post
i am going to start playing at church again in a couple of weeks and i am currently using the eleven rack. to play live i will need a midi pedal, so my question is which one should i go with (yes, some options are overkill):

1) midi pedal - behringer with 11prom, or rocktron midi mate or any midi pedal?

2) pod hd500 - can use as a midi pedal or stand alone rig if for some reason the eleven rack fails.

3) digitech gsp1101 with control pedal - same as above except that i can load user IR's and it integrates better with the eleven rack if i want to use both together.

those are the three options i have been tossing around for days. help please?
All I can say is that I have used the 11 Rack at the same type of venue and I bought a used FCB1010 MFC to use for the channel switching and volume control, I just kept it simple, didn't really to use any of the individual switches for turning FX on/off, my patches were set up nicely. Although one patch did need to have some modifying thru the front panel (thanyou Benoni). The FCB1010 was cheap and the 11prom (now EurekaProm) made operation a snap. It is a huge lump of a pedal - not a problem if you have some space - and very awkward to carry with other gear because if its size, so, I bought a Rockbag to carry it.

I also have the 11R in a 2U softcase bag also made by Rockbag, hey they make good stuff - and was the only brand the store had in stock .

I was never afraid the 11R would fail and if it had, I would just unplug the guitar and go straight into the amp clean. If the amp goes well ... then I guess I'm in trouble .

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 10-29-2011, 10:29 PM

I vote for number 1.
I've been using the 11R with the 1010 w/11prom for a year now at my church. I have the 11R in a portable SKB rack case along with a pair of Shure wireless receivers (one for electric and one for acoustic guitar). I recently picked up a SKB soft case for the 1010. Makes it very easy to carry in on a Sunday morning.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:34 AM

To be really portable I got the tech21 midi mouse controller and boss fv500 volume/expression pedal. Those + laptop & cables fit in my gator 2U backpack making it very easy to travel.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:48 AM

I have a KMI SoftStep. It's a bit tricky to get your head wrapped around the programming but once you do it is by far the most flexible, powerful and compact pedal I have ever owned. I love mine, it's fully configurable for almost anything I can dream up, and fits in the back of my 2U rack.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqlw View Post
I have a KMI SoftStep. It's a bit tricky to get your head wrapped around the programming but once you do it is by far the most flexible, powerful and compact pedal I have ever owned. I love mine, it's fully configurable for almost anything I can dream up, and fits in the back of my 2U rack.
Does Your SoftStep reflects on its LEDs the status which FX is ON/OFF or not existing in current 11R patch?

I mean if you for example tap DIST and MOD button on 11R chassis would it light up on SoftStep?

I know it's rare behaviour of midi switchers to read the current status of FX processor. However it would be great to have such feature. SoftStep seems to be quite advanced, but I'm not sure if 11R can send out its status...

Thanks
Old 10-31-2011, 08:27 AM

I searched high and low and could not find a decent sounding clip of a gsp1101 using custom ir's, so that option is out. i also learned that the gsp1101 only allows 128 tap samples (not big or accurate) and i was told that you need to have about 1024 taps to be accurate.

so i'm looking at the pod hd500 next. this clip is probably the best example of the pod hd500 sounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z__yOcQOPXU

the guy is using an eleven rack now, but he did get some decent tone out of the pod when he did this video.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:37 AM

Knowing that you came from the GSP, I don't think the POD HD is going to add much and as a controller it works ok but it is nowhere near what you had with the GSP and Control 2. If you still have the GSP and Control 2 you can try to integrate that as a controller to get a good idea of how the POD will react as the contoller for the 11R. In my opinion they are usable but there are too many issues to use live.

If you just want a controller that works with the 11r, the FCB/11prom is the best option by far.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protprot View Post
Does Your SoftStep reflects on its LEDs the status which FX is ON/OFF or not existing in current 11R patch?

I mean if you for example tap DIST and MOD button on 11R chassis would it light up on SoftStep?

I know it's rare behaviour of midi switchers to read the current status of FX processor. However it would be great to have such feature. SoftStep seems to be quite advanced, but I'm not sure if 11R can send out its status...

Thanks
Unforutnately, it does not. The SoftStep communication is one way (i.e. OUT) unless you are uploading scenes to it for standalone mode, but nothing in real time with respect to recieving MIDI messages. In any event, as far as I am aware, the 11R doesn't transmit that data when a patch is intiated anyway, so there is no MIDI pedal that would be able to function that way with the Eleven Rack at present.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqlw View Post
Unforutnately, it does not. The SoftStep communication is one way (i.e. OUT) unless you are uploading scenes to it for standalone mode, but nothing in real time with respect to recieving MIDI messages. In any event, as far as I am aware, the 11R doesn't transmit that data when a patch is intiated anyway, so there is no MIDI pedal that would be able to function that way with the Eleven Rack at present.
That's right, it's a limitation with the 11R. I think it was probably just an oversight by the dev team, the "idea" is on IdeaScale, so it might happen if there were another Xpansion pack. But I'm thinking it might need some extra hardware to make happen.
But vote nonetheless, you never know, it could happen .

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP