Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2014, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Getting Protools on my MacBook Pro

musicman691 - thanks for all your help. I hope one day I can be as pro and knowledgeable about protools as you! Have you heard of logic pro studio? any good? seems to do what i want to do - but since you are the PRO - maybe you can tell me?
Old 05-13-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
mesaone:
Dave has an old G4 with some version of PT on it that he's trying to load on the MacBook but we don't have a clear idea of exactly what version of PT he has. He's talked about versions as far back as PT6 and then in other posts here or in his other thread about later versions of PT so we have no idea of what Dave is talking about.

Simply put that old G4 will not run any modern version of PT.
I was responding to his question of "if I buy any current avid/protools/mbox products now - in few years I will have to replace my whole system?"

And explained that if he buys/builds a new computer (to replace his old system) and buys the current Pro Tools product, he can be set for several years.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
I was responding to his question of "if I buy any current avid/protools/mbox products now - in few years I will have to replace my whole system?"

And explained that if he buys/builds a new computer (to replace his old system) and buys the current Pro Tools product, he can be set for several years.
True but which old system? The G4 or his laptop running ML? If he got the PT10/11 combo he could use his laptop instead of the G4 but it doesn't seem that's what he wants to do.

QAPLA!
Old 05-13-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDavest View Post
musicman691 - thanks for all your help. I hope one day I can be as pro and knowledgeable about protools as you! Have you heard of logic pro studio? any good? seems to do what i want to do - but since you are the PRO - maybe you can tell me?
I'm not the quintessential pro at this but I do know a good bit on what generally works and won't without struggles and that's what I and others are trying to help you with.

As to Logic Pro - just because a product has the word 'pro' in the title doesn't mean it's fit for professional use day in and day out. I would stay away from any version of Logic. If you don't want to deal with the complexities of PT and want something that's good on a Mac - try Digital Performer. It's a shame they don't have a demo version of the program that I know of.

But the thing we've been trying to get you to understand is YOU have to determine exactly what you want to do. As was said - editing wavs is different then working inside a daw. If you want to work on the go and work at home with a desktop machine with your current setup that's not possible without a LOT of work. You'd have to try and backdate your laptop to run OSX 10.6.8 and then possibly your old version of PT (whichever that is) would run on both machines. But like I said - that's a LOT of computer geek work.

QAPLA!
Old 05-13-2014, 07:11 PM

Jack, I make it very clear that I'm talking about building or buying a new system. I don't know how it is possible you got a different impression.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Jack, I make it very clear that I'm talking about building or buying a new system. I don't know how it is possible you got a different impression.
Never got a different impression. What I was wondering about is you mentioned in one of your posts about replacing his old system but not which old system. He has two and at least one is a more modern one he wouldn't have to replace if he didn't want to (his laptop) is what I was getting at. I was trying to get across if he upgraded the laptop then he'd be set for less money, especially if he's staying with a Mac.

Why buy/build new when he's got a perfectly good laptop that works? I get the impression Dave is trying to save some bucks on this and was pointing out a cheaper option, that's all.

QAPLA!
Old 05-14-2014, 09:57 AM

I just want to run protools on my macbook pro. Forget about the G4. I threw it out the window to feed bears. I just wanted to mention I had it because I paid a pretty penny for it and somehow in my mind I feel the card (part of the DIGI box I have) seems to be better than a USB connection (as some Mboxes use) It is DIGI 001 box hardware (with card inserted in the G4) and running protools 6.2. I've recorded on here for years. So I have all these recordings on my harddrive - I just wanted to sit down and edit these into song compositions. BUT! like I said, it is gone now so too bad.

My macbook pro is from 2007 (when I bought)

Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo
Memory: 2 GB 1067 DDR3

I didnt realize choosing an mbox would be so difficult?! Remember in about 2005-06 when AVID (Digidesign then) was giving out Protools free on their website? I loved that, because although it had an 8 track capacity, you could still load it on your laptop without hardware connections and it would work. Maybe I should just use Garage band. Less hassle...less complicated... you see where I am going?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:25 AM

Why are you back to conflating running Pro Tools with buying an Mbox? Or back here at all--what exactly is your question?

Do what everybody else wanting to run Pro Tools on a MBP would do....

Upgrade your laptop to OSX 10.8.5 (still purchasable from Apple) or Maverics (you need to check which OS version makes sense for you and that the laptop can be upgraded-you keep giving fuzzy information, including lack of exact Mac model name/code). And If it is not upgradeable then your choices should be obvious (buy a new MBP or buy a used Pro Tools license).

Buy an iLok2.

Download the Pro Tools 11 trial. Try it out, if it work for you then buy a license or bundle (choices are Eleven Rack or Mbox Pro). Be aware the Eleven Rack may have USB interface problems on Mavericks, but you may never even use it, you just want the Pro Tools software.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-14-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:54 PM

Mr ramm- thanks for ur help. Lets say I updated my os to mavericks. Will protools 11 run on tha os without hardware? I was under the impression that u needed hardware such as mbox in order for protools to work?

Also- wat is so fuzzy about the info of my macbook pro? I gave all the info in he the info besides the serial number of the laptop ? Wat other info is thered to give to make my thread posts more clear?
Old 05-14-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDavest View Post
Mr ramm- thanks for ur help. Lets say I updated my os to mavericks. Will protools 11 run on tha os without hardware? I was under the impression that u needed hardware such as mbox in order for protools to work?

Also- wat is so fuzzy about the info of my macbook pro? I gave all the info in he the info besides the serial number of the laptop ? Wat other info is thered to give to make my thread posts more clear?
I have already very clearly address both those questions, in the second post in this thread.