Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-23-2003, 01:07 AM

Default How to mix to a 16mm film?

Hi all

I have done post editing for a number of short movies, all of which were mastered (finished) to beta. Now i am working on a project that was shot on a 16mm film camera and recorded on a nagra. It is the first time i will mix a movie that will be printed to film. I know that the optical sound track on a 16mm film sounds bad and that i need to restrain the mix to a specific frequency and dynamic range.

does anyone know were i can get more info on that?

Thanks
Old 03-25-2003, 12:03 AM

Default Re: How to mix to a 16mm film?

First off, what is the film being edited on? Second, are you mixing in PT? We need more details in order to help you out. I suggest posting that, and other 'Pro' questions in the TDM for Mac forum. You will get a lot more help there. No offense to my fellow 001 users.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:25 AM

one of the thing to check is the transphere from your mix to optical track
In some case you have to boost the whole mix at 6Khz
Now more and more firms have the job done.
On thing is use 8khz lowpass 12dB/oct so no higher frequency.
the dynamic of the 16mn is realy small so compress.
Anyhow check with the transphere company.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Saar:
Hi all

I have done post editing for a number of short movies, all of which were mastered (finished) to beta. Now i am working on a project that was shot on a 16mm film camera and recorded on a nagra. It is the first time i will mix a movie that will be printed to film. I know that the optical sound track on a 16mm film sounds bad and that i need to restrain the mix to a specific frequency and dynamic range.

does anyone know were i can get more info on that?

Thanks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Look around the web for film processing houses. They usually have specs for that kind of stuff. Big thing with optical sound track is the limited freq. range and a lot less dynamic Range. You'll also have to pull down your audio to match the speed of the film playback
Old 03-25-2003, 05:26 AM

I have done a fair amount of super 16 work and my final 2 trk masters have always been put into the editing suite ( avid or media 100 ) and then digitized from there.But if the guy edits with a razor blade and keeps it on film they will have to sync your tracks to a external source (hi8 dat adat minidisc)