Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2002, 01:21 AM

Default mix core and dsp farm

I searched the duc for this and couldn't really find what I was looking for. What kind of performance can I expect out of a mix core and a dsp farm. I want to use a few verbs, compression and eq. Also auto tune the vocal tracks. How many tracks are possible doing this? Is that too much for that set up? It's on a old 9600 with a G3 500 update so rtas isn't really going to help I don't think.

thanks
Old 10-28-2002, 06:50 AM

Default Re: mix core and dsp farm

It gets a bit hard to predict, especially because it depends on which plugins that you'll be using require the mix chips (on your core card) and which don't.

I have a Mix+ (core plus mix farm), and I added a dsp farm to it. In my case it worked out well because many of the dsp hungry plugins I use (ones that take a whole chip like Amp Farm, Pitchblender, etc) happen to work on the DSP farm. In that situation the dsp farm is, for all intents and purposes, 2/3 of a mix farm, making it a great deal.

You really need to determine what plugins you want to use and whether or not they require the mix chips.

When you start talking about verb plugins, you're almost certainly talking a whole chip per plugin instance. With only 10 chips total, and the possibility of plugins requiring mix chips, you might come up a little short.

Tom
Old 10-28-2002, 01:37 PM

Note that I said "In that situation the dsp farm is, for all intents and purposes". That is, I can run 4 Amp Farms on the dsp farm (one on each chip). The same 4 Amp Farms would use 4 of the 6 chips on a Mix farm.

In that situation, it frees up 2/3 of a mix farm for other use. I wasn't implying that the dsp farm had 2/3 the processing power of the Mix farm, but in the above situation it does, in fact, free up that much. The same situation actually applies to a lot of plugins that will eat a whole chip on either a Mix or dsp farm.

Tom
Old 10-28-2002, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tld:
Note that I said "In that situation the dsp farm is, for all intents and purposes". That is, I can run 4 Amp Farms on the dsp farm (one on each chip). The same 4 Amp Farms would use 4 of the 6 chips on a Mix farm.

In that situation, it frees up 2/3 of a mix farm for other use. I wasn't implying that the dsp farm had 2/3 the processing power of the Mix farm, but in the above situation it does, in fact, free up that much. The same situation actually applies to a lot of plugins that will eat a whole chip on either a Mix or dsp farm.

Tom
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, I realize that and noted it. I see now that you meant for THAT intent and purpose, not ALL and were measuring DSP Farm power by what wasn't used on the Mix Farm. You can buy 3-6 DSP Farms ($250-$400 ea) for the same as 1 Mix Farm ($1500) these days, so that's an interesting way to think of it.

AG
Old 10-29-2002, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tld:

I have a Mix+ (core plus mix farm), and I added a dsp farm to it. In my case it worked out well because many of the dsp hungry plugins I use (ones that take a whole chip like Amp Farm, Pitchblender, etc) happen to work on the DSP farm. In that situation the dsp farm is, for all intents and purposes, 2/3 of a mix farm, making it a great deal.

Tom
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I wish that 2/3 figure to be true, but a MIX farm would add @ 3 times more processing capability than a DSP farm card.

AG