Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 05-21-2020, 04:04 PM

Default Benefits of interface for can-centric workflow

hi all

I'm running native PT Ultimate just out of the MBP headphone jack. I only do post editorial at home. Dial, foley, and some FX editing -- simple sessions.

I'm curious if there is a big incentive to invest in a Thunderbolt/USB interface if it's a modest system for occasional (that can expand?) work? Better headphone output level? Huge quality difference? I have Beyerdynamics 770 PRO 250 ohm cans.

Thanks for your input
Mac OS 10.14 Mojave
Pro Tools Ultimate 19.5.0
Old 05-21-2020, 09:37 PM

Default Re: Benefits of interface for can-centric workflow

I also do post editorial at home with DT770’s. I’m surprised you’re driving them with the built-in output. With an internal sound card I had to use “normal” impedance cans And I hear noise and interference with both Mac and PC laptops.

So I always use an interface. I have the usual rack mount interface at home but I have a couple of tiny USB boxes that I use for travel or when I need an extra seat. Used to use the Mbox mini but drivers were terrible. Nowadays anything from Presonus and Focusrite is good enough. Steinberg, Roland, Tascam. Honestly they all use similar quality components and they’re cheap as chips when you’re making a living using them. The quality difference is worth it for me. Spending more will get you more features and I/O but not necessarily a better headphone amp. Stepping up to an RME Babyface would be an improvement but only worth it if you need the extras.