Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2010, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE 8 - Keeps on crashing. A lot of information has been provided.

Definitely update us if that works, Oliarnalds.
Digi Rack 002
No Third Party Plugins, yet
Old 03-01-2010, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE 8 - Keeps on crashing. A lot of information has been provided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoduati View Post
Playback engines.... What is recommended?

thanks,
Geoff
It is recommended to set your playback engine to one processor core less than you have. For example if you have a Core2Duo, set it to one instead of two. If you have a Quad core processor, set it to 3 instead of two. If you have a dual quad core (8 cores), set it to seven instead of eight. For those with the new MacPro with the Nehalem processor with Hyperthreading, your Mac will see 16 processors! Set the playback engine to fifteen instead of sixteen.
This frees up one processor to handle the non-realtime plugins as explained in the General Troubleshooting sticky thread.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 03-01-2010, 10:05 PM

Very good, thanks.

Geoff
Old 03-02-2010, 02:34 AM

Hey Matt, Brian Here. Just got an Imac 3.06 ghz, 4g ram, Glyph 1tb hdd. All I use is an eleven rack and an Axiom 25. Everything was fine for a while, and just as I thought, the crap started doing exaxtly what your rig is doing. Yesterday laid down 4 guitar tracks and you would think I had a 1000 effects on them. I guess the computer could'nt handle it. No error messages, just the rainbow pinwheel. I would have to restart just as you have done. I knew this would happen.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:36 PM

I'm delighted to tell you all that making a new user account did nothing for me!
This account is totally clean. Pretty much the first thing i did was to open a session in pro tools. Took it about 2 minutes to crash.

grrrr...

i'm out of ideas.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:51 PM

Well, that's a real pity. We were all holding out for you.

For what it's worth, when I was problem-solving, after I had done a TimeMachine backup, I did a reformat and reinstall of Snow Leopard. Then, before restoring my user account or any other software, I installed ProTools 8.0.3 with its plugins, just to see if it would run on a completely fresh clean system.

It did. So I determined my problem wasn't hardware.

After I restored my user account, it wouldn't run without crashing. Upon which I created a clean ProTools user account, installed PT, and it ran fine.

BTW - When I restored from my TimeMachine, I later found MANY recent files were missing from the TM backup! This was potentially disastrous, but thankfully I had also made a CarbonCopy backup of my system to recover them. I have no idea why TM lost files. I had backed-up'ed TM immediately prior to the reinstall, but that's all for another forum, though worth the warning here.

Geoff

MBP, OSX 10.6.2, 4Gb ram, 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
WD "My Studio" 1Gb external firewire drive
Digi 002, PT LE 8.0.3
Old 03-02-2010, 08:10 PM

Thanks Geoff.
I'm going to try to create another new User Account. Maybe i did something wrong last time... included some files from the old account, or something...

I didn't need to Install Pro Tools again on the new user account... it was already in Applications... (while you specifically mention you installed PT on the new account). I wonder if this has something to do with it... Can anyone advise? I'm not a super computer savvy person, although i do know my way around.