Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2010, 07:36 PM

Default PT9 HD with a non-Avid interface?

So could I get a Pro Tools HD Core Card to run PT9 HD and then use a non-Avid interface like an RME Fireface, MOTU interface, or M-Audio interface? Sure would be nice to be able to run TDM plugins but have more affordable options for interfaces...
Old 11-04-2010, 07:47 PM

Default Re: PT9 HD with a non-Avid interface?

This won't be any different from before. You can use 3rd party interfaces that offer hookups to HD. This rules out most low budget interfaces, as they are firewire/usb, etc.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:54 PM

That's what I'm getting at; will this new support for and integration of USB/Firewire interfaces allow them to be operated from within Pro Tools HD? Or are you still limited here?
Old 11-04-2010, 07:57 PM

You can't mix and match driver types. If you use all Core Audio drivers and you have the Toolkit you get almost HD... except for some hardware dependent features like Input buttons, dynamic voice allocation, TrackInput Record Mode, and TDM plugins. For those you will need to use TDM hardware and Avid I/O or emulated I/O.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-04-2010, 08:09 PM

Thanks, that clarifies it for me. It's all a matter of the currently functioning audio driver. What non-Avid options are there for interfaces that support connection via Digilink (and therefore PT HD compatibility)?
Old 11-04-2010, 08:39 PM

The most popular ones would be the new Apogee Symphony, the Apogee Rosettas and AD16 series (with X-HD card, a separate purchase), Lynx Aurora 8 and 16 (with HD card, a separate purchase), Mytek 8 x 192 (with HD card, a separate purchase), and maybe a few others that I can't think of right now.

These have been available to use with PT HD for several years, and nothing is new or different about this even though PT9 came out.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
The most popular ones would be the new Apogee Symphony, the Apogee Rosettas and AD16 series (with X-HD card, a separate purchase), Lynx Aurora 8 and 16 (with HD card, a separate purchase), Mytek 8 x 192 (with HD card, a separate purchase), and maybe a few others that I can't think of right now.

These have been available to use with PT HD for several years, and nothing is new or different about this even though PT9 came out.
Prism being the obvious omission to this list. SSL can also be used with HD I believe.