Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2013, 07:35 PM

Default mic lost signal all of a sudden while recording

i have a sterling audio mic, been using it for a while now its never gave out on me. tonight i was recording, through out the whole track i had no problem but once i picked my energy up from laying down my vocals in the i just all of a sudden lost a signal. the signal comes back like every 10 sec but if i even blow in the mic the signal will go away again. i ran some test on my preamp which i proven not to be my preamp. i even reinstalled protools but it still does it. i know it aint my digi 002 control bard cause everything else work on protools. that leaves me with either the cord or the mic. what are the chances a mic going on on me like that, a 300.00 mic at that? i notice when the signal comes back it'll stay on when im talking in the mic but if i blow or get loud in the mic the signal will go away.somebody please help me, this is not natural to me i never seen nothin like this
Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 PM

Default Re: mic lost signal all of a sudden while recording

sounds like the cap is contaminated or damaged
how humid is your space?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-16-2013, 09:18 PM

i record in a closet with studio foam. and what u mean damaged? u mean my voice could of did that? not naturally possible. mayne u might have to explain a lil better cause i still dont understand
Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 PM

if the diaphragm gets stretched or loses tention and makes contact with the back pain it shorts out and signal is lost until the system recharges

the same thing can happen if the capsule is dirty with contaminants (smoke, spit, moisture buildup)

seeing where you are I guess spit and humidly

you could try putting the mic in a ziplock bag with some dry rice for a few days to draw any moisture out of the mic (also works for phones that go swimming)

if the problem keeps coming back you will need to find a repair shop that can work on/clean the mic

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-16-2013, 09:47 PM

so i was right tho, its no way possible i could have blown tha mic with my voice? so every sign i stated to u has something to do with spit and stuff getti inside the diaphragm. and when u say recharges, what do u mean. u sayin if i let it dry out it'll get back to normal?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:20 AM

A mic is a piece of equipment. Equipment fails from time to time.
It's not uncommon for mics (especially inexpensive ones) to have occasional problems.
Take it somewhere and have it looked at. Chances are it's a minor repair.
Could be as simple as a sloppily soldered wire.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:03 AM

btw, don't know how hard you do it, but don't blow into a ribbon mic if that's what you have.

#BOYCOTTTUSPRODUCTS

just not Pro tools and compatible plugins...