Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 03-22-2010, 10:42 AM

Default headphone mixes in pt hd

if you use an aux for headphone channels in pt hd, you get clipping before you hit the fader

should i use a master fader?
Old 03-22-2010, 03:44 PM

Default Re: headphone mixes in pt hd

huh?

How are you doing it? Here's what I normally do and it seems to be pretty standard practice.

Select ALL the tracks in your session. Hold down the "opt" key and assign a send to A 3-4 (or whatever analog out you are using for your headphone mix). Then hold down the Opt key again and click on the "pre" button on the fader that opened up for the send. This will make them all PRE.

THEN... hit Cmd+Opt+H. Make the correct selections on the dialog window that pops up. And you are done. You can then tweak the headphone mix from there. But it shouldn't clip if your stereo mix isn't clipping.

If you need multiple headphone mixes, assign another send to A 5-6 (or whatever) and follow the same steps.

No need for aux channels. You can open up a master fader for each headphone output if you want but there's really no need.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 03-22-2010, 04:05 PM

hey thats exactley what i needed thanks!

having the master fader is good for quick master headphone out volume adjustments, or just muting

im still having some trouble with solo and mute functions

sometimes i want to play like a single guitar part, but its routed through so many things that i literally can't solo it

its even more complicated when i want to solo it into someone's headphone mix

i think the main thing i was missing was the "pre" button... i made a send on every channel go to an aux channel, and then that aux channel into the outputs, but that hit the TDM clipping headroom (multiple tracks combined internally)
Old 03-22-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
huh?
You can then tweak the headphone mix from there. But it shouldn't clip if your stereo mix isn't clipping.

No need for aux channels. You can open up a master fader for each headphone output if you want but there's really no need.
Because the sends are pre-fader, it would be possible for the Master to not be clipping but the sends to be clipping on their output. I just tried it and I was able to clip the headphone output while the Master bus had plenty of headroom.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 03-22-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymusicguy View Post

im still having some trouble with solo and mute functions

sometimes i want to play like a single guitar part, but its routed through so many things that i literally can't solo it

its even more complicated when i want to solo it into someone's headphone mix
Are you using Solo Safe mode on your busses? Cmd click on the solo button on any tracks/auxillary busses that you are submixing. You will probably want to do that on your Reverb/Effect busses too. In fact, I don't think I can even really think of a time that you wouldn't want an auxillary bus to not be solo safed. I really wish that you could choose a preference that would bring in your auxillary tracks automatically solo safed as that is what most of us need 99% of the time.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 03-23-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
Are you using Solo Safe mode on your busses? Cmd click on the solo button on any tracks/auxillary busses that you are submixing. You will probably want to do that on your Reverb/Effect busses too. In fact, I don't think I can even really think of a time that you wouldn't want an auxillary bus to not be solo safed. I really wish that you could choose a preference that would bring in your auxillary tracks automatically solo safed as that is what most of us need 99% of the time.
+1

and thanks to everyone for the help.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
Because the sends are pre-fader, it would be possible for the Master to not be clipping but the sends to be clipping on their output. I just tried it and I was able to clip the headphone output while the Master bus had plenty of headroom.
Yes, but I'm sure you had to change the send levels AFTER you hit Cmd+Opt+H correct? My point was that, if your stereo mix isn't clipping, and you hit Cmd+Opt+H, then your send mix shouldn't be clipping either when in PRE mode. Once you start messing with levels after you copy the main faders up to the send, then yeah, it can clip... but if you copy your levels from your main faders to your sends, you sends won't be clipping while your main faders aren't.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 03-26-2010, 06:00 PM

What I do for post production mixing is put the headphone sends on stem auxes. If they are 5.1 auxes you would need to make 3 stereo sub paths for the 5.1 headphone send - L/R, C/LFE, LS/RS and feed those to 3 stereo auxes with outputs to the headphone output. Pan the C/LFE aux to Center and pull the LS/RS aux down 3dB. Solo safe all the auxes. You can also use the 5.1 headphone send to feed the console meters, as long as you keep it at unity. If you want to have volume control of the headphones within PT, then put a master fader on the stereo headphone output. Disable the automation on the master fader so it stays wherever you set it.