Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2003, 07:22 AM

Default Frequent crashes in Pro Tools 6.1 TDM / 10.2.6

Hello,

I've had a new Pro Tools HD system on the Mac for the past couple of months. For some reason I get very frequent crashes. With great reliability, whenever I go to "Import Audio to Track", the application hesitates for one second and then disappears. No error message is given. My control 24 faders are left frozen in space until I reboot the machine or go back into Pro Tools. Often when editing, the application will also disappear, but it happens most frequently when I import data (which is all the time, for the work I do).

My setup is - Power Mac Dual 1.25 GHz, 768 MB RAM, 320 GB hard disks (4x80 GB internal), HD 1, Pro Tools 6.1, Mac OS X 10.2.6, Control 24, 192 I/O. Plug-ins - Waves Gold TDM, Waves Renn Maxx TDM, Spectrasonics Atmosphere/Trilogy/Stylus RTAS, Plugsound 1-6 RTAS, MachFive RTAS.

I never experience lockups outside of Pro Tools. I tried deleting the Pro Tools / DAE / etc. preferences in user / library but it didn't help. I've also tried reboots. The problem happens in both old and new sessions. Thanks in advance. Big deadlines today, otherwise I'd keep futzing -

-JRL

----
Jamie Lendino
Sound For Games Interactive
http://www.soundforgames.com
Old 08-27-2003, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Frequent crashes in Pro Tools 6.1 TDM / 10.2.6

Try increasing the size of alloted memory for the application.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:02 AM

I have had the same problem from PT6 forward, I think this is a known issue. I have spoken to tech supp about it but they don't seem to be able to duplicate it. On my system the following happens, On every new session the first imprt I do it converts it and as soon as it's done it quits out of PT. I reopen the session and the file is not in the regions bar but it is in the audio folder ( I think only the left side) after the fisrt time I can import as many files as I want into the seesiuon with no problem. This happens on EVERY new session, I guess i'm used to it
Old 08-27-2003, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Try increasing the size of alloted memory for the application.
In OSX?

Lee Blaske
Old 08-27-2003, 11:02 AM

Hi Jamie,

I've had that problem and an even nastier one. (see post "Really Nasty Problem.") The whole system would freeze and I'd have to reboot from the power switch on the Mac.

What finally worked for me (and I tried EVERYTHING!0 was to uninstall and reinstall PT. It was a bit nerve racking as I also had deadlines, but it went very smoothly without a hitch. That's been four days ago and no problems since. If I dont' have any snags today I was going to put up an update to the "Really Nasty Problem" and feel I finally got the problem resolved.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:04 AM

Hey Lee, I saw you registered in '69. Wow that's amazing, was that on Al Gore's computer internet connection ?
Old 08-27-2003, 11:30 AM

Yep, Al and I were the only ones on the net back then. We had a couple of paper cups and a long piece of string between his house and my house.

Lee Blaske
Old 08-28-2003, 07:48 AM

Hey David (and everyone), thanks for the comments so far. I got through another day yesterday with only three crashes. I'm starting to think that it's a certain plug-in. In a new session, I can import files. But as soon as I'm working with the session for fifteen minutes or so, after I've got some tracks and some plug-ins, I can't import into that session anymore without the application disappearing. Even on a cold reboot, if I load that session and click "import audio to track" the app crashes. But if I start a new session after going back in to Pro Tools, I can import audio into that new session.

I'm using beta drivers for plugsound box volumes 1-6 (they've been promising official OS X drivers for almost a year now.) MachFive is also a very new app. I'm going to keep zeroing in on it and see what I can come up with. I'll post with the results. I'll also give a reinstall a try as well if I don't get anywhere. Thanks again -

Best regards,
Jamie

----
Jamie Lendino
Sound For Games Interactive
http://www.soundforgames.com
Old 08-28-2003, 08:51 AM

I'm getting many crashes w MAch 5. PT6.1 OSX 10.2.6. Try removing Mach 5 from your sessions.
Old 08-29-2003, 05:23 AM

Quote:
I'm getting many crashes w MAch 5. PT6.1 OSX 10.2.6. Try removing Mach 5 from your sessions.
I did - I still get the crashes, so that one isn't the problem for me. So far I've only used MachFive on a couple of sessions. I'm gradually getting used to it. Actually if it keeps being this good, I'm going to be in absolute heaven. It's soooo easy to use.

-JRL