Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-07-2008, 05:11 AM

Default PC to Mac....looking for a little perspective

Looking to make the "switch" but still a little hesitant...

I have been using 7.1 on a P4 3.2ghz PC (Music XPC C4 Digi approved hooked up to an 002) for about 1.5 years more or less trouble free.I'am however finding that I'm pushing it's limits from time to time.

The perspective I seek is...which Mac might be right for me?

Average session 16-24 tracks
90% Audio
10% Midi + Virtuals (EZ Drummer,Hybrid,Amplitube2.....)
Moderate plug-in use

I was looking at the iMac (2.8 or 3.06) but not sure how much of a jump up that actually is?
Not sure how many stand alone drives I can place between the imac and my 002 (recording drive/sample libraries drive....)
Is it too noisy to have on the desk for recording?

I could possibly swing a MacPro but again the processing perspective is a bit lost on me so I'm not sure if this would be really overkill for my needs?

I have a single processor now....the core2 duo of the iMac vs single?8 core vs single?

Sorry for the long winded first post but I really would like to switch and just a little unsure which way to direct my resources.

Thanks in advance to anyone that may care to weigh in...
Old 10-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Avid

Default Re: PC to Mac....looking for a little perspective

Even the iMac would be a noticeable step up from what you have now.

Perspective - I regularly use a MacBook Pro 2.2 and easily do 48 tracks from a single FW drive with tons of plug-ins - 3-4 reverbs (Revolver, TL Space, etc), compression/eq on each track (EQIII, DynIII, MDWEQ, Filterbank, etc), several delays, fx (mostly SoundToys) and a smattering of other plugs. I don't recall where the DSP meter was at, but it never complained and I didn't feel like the sessions were ever getting sluggish.

A MacPro would just give you that much more processing power.

As for drives - you could easily do 3 or 4 drives in a chain. I've done it with the MacBook Pro without problems. Noise may be a problem, though, if you're recording in the same room as the drives. I combat this by putting the drives in a custom built, fan cooled case.

You might make an appointment at a Mac store and see if you can bring in your drive, 002 and Pro Tools installer and just check what a iMac can do for you.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:46 AM

I agree, any dual core or above will stomp your old single core machine. A more cost-effective alternative might be to build a new PC based on an intel quad or even the setup I run which handles 32 tracks plus tons of auxes and plugins with ease.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by albee1952; 10-09-2008 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-07-2008, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the reply's!!

It's a big decision and want to make sure I do all my homework.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:53 PM

Hi, I just got a MacBook Pro 15"...... 2.4 with 4 Gigs of ram.

It's my first Mac. I was really excited to get one after 8 yrs with the PC.

I haven't recorded with it yet, just getting set it up with external hard drives and everything, software, etc,.

Also, getting accustomed to transferring Pro Tools sessins back and forth between my desktop PC and the MacBook Pro laptop.

I'm still not sure if I would have better off with the 17" MacBook with the bigger screen. It seems like it would have been better for working in Pro Tools.

I'm used to a 28" monitor with the desktop.

Things are a little cramped on the 15", but everything else about it are great...portability, (ease of carry) font size for all of the other programs usage, screen brightness and clarity.

Also $800 less than the 17" model.

Ideally....try to check out both models side by side if you can with pro tools installed as well as checking out its size for everything else that you might be doing on it.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio66 View Post
Thanks for the reply's!!

It's a big decision and want to make sure I do all my homework.
I wish more folks would spend at least a day researching this stuff You have the right idea.

The iMacs are supposed to be quite quiet. Only disadvantage is that by the time you plug in a bunch of peripherals and HDD's etc is that the iMacs uncluttered design is looking a little more cluttered. Add the cost of external drives to your iMac purchase price. With a PC you can buy HDD's on sale and just slap them in the case. A iMac also offers zero expansion capabilities which is something to keep in mind-about all you can do is daisy chain drives and add memory. Thats not necessarily a bad thing as it keeps things simple.

You can build a PC that will DECIMATE the iMac for the same amount of money but both choices should run your sessions equally nicely. I have both and would recommend that someone at least try a Mac at some point. I would normally recommend that some one buy a MacBook over a PC notebook any day of the week.

Both are very good choices. Both platforms have their strengths and weaknesses.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 10-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Avid

Quote:
I'm still not sure if I would have better off with the 17" MacBook with the bigger screen. It seems like it would have been better for working in Pro Tools.
You do know you can connect a 2nd monitor (or even close the MBP and use it as your main monitor) to the DVI output on the MacBook Pro, right?
Old 10-08-2008, 07:02 PM

Yes, DigiTech. Thanks.

I've hooked it up to my 28" monitor at home, unfortunately though, with the resolution only going up to 1440 by 990 on the 15" MacBook Pro, everything is quite big on the screen and you can't fit to much on the screen.

It needs to be at least 1600 by 1200 to get things small enough so as to get a lot of info on the screen.

I was mainly referring to using the MacBook on the road and wishing perhaps I had the 17" MacBook screen instead of the 15".

Thank You though, for the info.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:10 PM

You should be able to run the external monitor at a higher resolution than the MBP, no?
Old 10-08-2008, 07:12 PM

Hi flommer,

I didn't think so. I thought you were at the mercy of whatever you graphics card is.

Maybe you're right.

If so, I'd like to know how to set it up.