Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2002, 12:40 AM

Default Solution for e-guitar&bass

I talked my cousin into home recording. He just got the 001.
He will be recording wind instruments, violine, guitars and bass.
What fx would you recommend for e-guitar and bass?
I have the POD 0.2 and am quite satisfied with that but it´s only for guitar so that my cousin would have to by two devices which wouldn´t be the cheapest way, I guess. I remember some talking of software they even prefered above the POD. ( I think they mentioned it to have also features for bass -?-. Already did a search on DUC but couldn´t find the mentioned threads.)

Is there a good way to go without spending a fortune?

Thank you for advice.

Lalaman
Old 12-10-2002, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Solution for e-guitar&bass

All amp simulator solutions are going to cost you around the same (more or less). POD's run around $250 for the 2.0 versions, and Amplitube (IK Multimedia) is going to cost around the same or a bit more. BF's Sansamp plug in is even more.

A Behringer amp sim. (the cheezy looking blue guitar shaped POD type device) and the Johnson J-Station can both be had for around $125 - $150, and both sound surprisingly good. Digitech makes a simplified version of their GeneX series that can be had for around $99.

There's a lot of things out there, but if you want "amp sim" in your Windows PT LE software, you're really limited to Amplitube and the BF Sans Amp plug ins. IMO, the Amplitube is a great deal, since it has rack simulation stuff, as well as stompbox / foot pedal stuff in addition to the preamp / power amp / speaker cab simulations.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 12-10-2002, 01:06 AM

This is what I call great information.

Thanks a lot Phil!

Greets
Lalaman
Old 12-10-2002, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaman:
What fx would you recommend for e-guitar and bass?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">For bass I would recommend nto using any effects, as it tends to cloud the tone and perception of the instrument. The exception would be maybe some chorus, and if the musc calls for it some overdrive type distortion. You can record the Bass direct either the 001 mic pre's through a DI or directly plugging it inot the inputs 3-8 and setting the hardware input setting to instrument. (Of course an outboard instrument preamp is a better choice but you mentioned keeping budget low. )

Guitar can benefit from a bit of reverb or delay, depending on the material. Often phase shifters, chorusing and other effects are applied as well. It is really program dependant. In any case be careful not to overdue it and lose too much tone with too much effects.

Pretty much all of these effects can be created with the stock 001 plug-ins.

I do not recommend recording wtih effects applied, as you are then stuck with the effect at mixdown. Record your tracks dry and with no eq, getting the best possible sound. This gives you unlimited potential at mixdown. The key to any good sounding recording starts at the beginning, inotherwords, recording good sounding tracks.

If you want an outboard processor, look for something that has spdif i/o. There are many devices from TC Electronics and Lexicon for reasonable (under $700) money that will provide you with quality effects.Personally I'd recommend staying away from Behringer, as I feel their stuff is bottom fishing crap, but that is my opinion, although shared by most it seems on the forums.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:03 AM

My guitarist friend just picked up a deeply discounted Korg Toneworks, AX something, the one with the chicken beak knobs. He found it surprising simple and sound simulations are impressive. Haven't tried on other instuments yet. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2002, 06:35 AM

Thanks, fellows!

Where,

as you were mentioning recording clean signal ...

I route the clean guitar through a DI into PT and from there out to POD and back to PT. So now I can listen to whatever amp I am on and record either both or only the clean signal. Should I find the sound not fitting best to the mix I can chose just any other amp / fx constellation I want, as the clean recorded signal can still be sent through POD and listened / recorded in PT again.

So, now that SoundDiver for POD is working on my system ( which it wouldn´t correctly on Win98 ), after recording I can alter the guitar sound on all available parameters accessible through SD while the other things ( PT & softsynths ) are playing too.

So every item can be tweaked any time by software until final mix.

All this thanks to XP.
Absolutely terrific!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Lalaman
Old 12-10-2002, 06:54 AM

As we are at it ...

I see that at PT inputs there is written "-10 dBV Line" although you can´t chose a measure of ten [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
I havn´t yet completely understood about levels, anyway.

What I have now is that POD goes in ( mono, input 3 ) at -2dB while the guitars / DI ( input 4 )level was much too low at -8 dB, so that I have it on -14 dB.

What do you say, could I do it better?

And: I havn´t done vocals yet, thus not tried - Would you recommend to use the POD as a mic pre?

Thanx!

Lalaman
Old 12-10-2002, 08:36 AM

PT inputs are all +4dbu balanced inputs. Inputs 1/2 are continiously variable via the front panel input gain controls and associated -26db pad. In the hardware settings there is a software adjustment for inputs 3-8.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:57 AM

Unfortunately not.
I was already about hardware settings ( inside the software ).
Is my question respectively the English it´s written in hard to be understood? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Lalaman
Old 12-10-2002, 04:08 PM

What about just using two microphones? Get something decent for bass and something good for guitar. I would assume that if you have a bass and guitar, you probably have amps and effects to go with each already- so why screw with amp sim stuff?

I haven't heard an amp sim yet that sounds like my little 25 watt tube amp. Most of the built in Digi effects will get you pretty far. Delays, EQs (use for wah even), and reverbs are all built in- so I would think that the cheapest way would be to get two mics.

If you are just starting out, just get an SM 57 and a Beta 52 mic (only heard about it, never used one)- those should work fine, and be pretty cheap. Or just get one better mic like an Earthworks SR-68, which will sound MUCH better overall. I personally rarely record bass and guitar at the same time.

What are you doing about drums btw?
Boston, Mass