Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 08-21-2019, 11:41 AM

Default Updating Pro Tools

Hello,

I currently have Pro Tools 9 and am in need of updating since no plugins support it anymore. I don't currently have an update and support plan and have a few questions:

1) When I upgrade to Pro Tools 12 from Pro Tools 9, how will it impact projects I am currently working on? I use a lot of virtual instruments and other plugins. With those been impacted and no longer work with the updated version?

2) I am a homeschooling parent and use Pro Tools for some educational purposes. Does this qualify me the teachers discount?

3) When there are further updates will that impact plugins and virtual instruments that I am using in my projects as well?

4) I have some FX plugins that were working with Pro Tools 9 using RTAS. With those plugins that I paid for no longer work and need to be replaced with new ones that I need to pay for again?

5) Will I need to purchase a new iLok when going from Pro Tools 9 to 12?

6) is the 1 year plan $390.00 every year? That is a lot of money for software that I already bought for around $800 just to keep it updated.

Thanks for your help,

Tim
Old 08-21-2019, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Updating Pro Tools

OK, I'll have a go. A little at least.
Why are you posting in the PT First secion of the forum, if it has nothing to do with PT First?
Going from PT9 to PT12 (not shure if that's even possible. Let's just say you're going to the latest version, PT2019) is just like going to new software. Completely new functionality, system requirements, hardware/OS compatibility, and as far as I know full new purchase price. And new Ilok. And no RTAS plugins will work. The plugins will have different aspects to upgrading/price. You will be able to open sessions, but plugins won't work.
OK, that's a start, at least.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:09 PM

And if this is the non HD version of PT9 and you upgrade to normal 2019 non HD it is $99 a year. The $399 is for PT Ultimate formally HD while PT9 to PT2019 (new version name from PT12) is a $299 first year for reinstatement and then following year $99.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-21-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
And if this is the non HD version of PT9 and you upgrade to normal 2019 non HD it is $99 a year. The $399 is for PT Ultimate formally HD while PT9 to PT2019 (new version name from PT12) is a $299 first year for reinstatement and then following year $99.

Not anymore. It’s $199 a year for native now.

Ha! You’d think that price change would be burned into your mind considering the amount of moderating you would have had to endure a few months ago during reinstatementgate. =P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Not anymore. It’s $199 a year for native now.

Ha! You’d think that price change would be burned into your mind considering the amount of moderating you would have had to endure a few months ago during reinstatementgate. =P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I mixed up yealy subs with annual plan sorry Easily done

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-22-2019, 12:05 PM

Thanks everyone. Sorry for posting in the wrong section. I'm new to the community and misread.

I appreciate the information.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:59 AM

Some more info:
1) When I upgrade to Pro Tools 12 from Pro Tools 9, how will it impact projects I am currently working on? I use a lot of virtual instruments and other plugins. With those been impacted and no longer work with the updated version?You might consider finishing current projects BEFORE updating. Any current plugins might not transfer, or may change enough that settings and sounds you have now will be lost(or different enough that you feel like they're lost). Most plugins are available as AAX64, but some(all?) will cost you to update and a few have been replaced(example; Digirack Delay(short), Delay(medium), etc have all been combined into a single delay plugin which can do all the same stuff, but the older settings won't transfer automatically)

2) I am a homeschooling parent and use Pro Tools for some educational purposes. Does this qualify me the teachers discount?Maybe

3) When there are further updates will that impact plugins and virtual instruments that I am using in my projects as well?Maybe, but I am not aware of any off the top of my head. Most updates seem to make things better or add new features

4) I have some FX plugins that were working with Pro Tools 9 using RTAS. With those plugins that I paid for no longer work and need to be replaced with new ones that I need to pay for again?See #1. RTAS is gone but most native plugins made the transition

5) Will I need to purchase a new iLok when going from Pro Tools 9 to 12?You need an iLok 2 or iLok 3. If you have the old key-shaped iLok, then you will need to buy a new one

My 2 cents; if the old rig works well, I would keep it just as it is and save pennies to get a newer computer to go with all the new software you'll need/want. The transition can be a PITA. But for most of us, the added features are well worth it. CLIP GAIN and off-line Bounce are game changers and that's 2 out of dozens. The trick is to do it in a way that doesn't screw up current projects

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-30-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Pickney View Post
...6) is the 1 year plan $390.00 every year? That is a lot of money for software that I already bought for around $800 just to keep it updated...
Yes, it IS a lot of money.

At least you've gotten a lot of use from PT9, and hopefully you'll get a lot of use from PT2019. I ran PT9 for a super-long time, and upgraded to PT2019 only a few months ago. I also upgraded my OS, CPU, memory, drives, iLok, & plug-ins. A hassle and an expense for sure, but worth it in my opinion.

By the way, you don't HAVE to upgrade PT every year. You can let your plan lapse, freeze you rig, and run it until it breaks. There are lots of pros running old rigs!!!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 11-30-2019, 10:34 AM

Or as some have done, keep the old computer and old Pro Tools to finish projects and move to a new computer with a different DAW, like Logic X (Mac only), Cubase/Nuendo, Studio 1, Reaper and others.

I'm not advocating for the OP to switch away from Pro Tools, I only mention this as an alternative as I'm paid up for PT until 2022 and have no need to look elsewhere.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction