Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-06-2004, 01:31 PM

Default \"Producing in the home studio with protools\"

Does anyone have this? Is it worth the $$$?

I'm looking at something that will show me how to use protools more effectively, and also gives me something more to go on using midi, microphones, and effects. In particular standard micing techniques and the theory behind it. I often fiddle with microphones until they sound good, but honestly much of the time it is just fiddling. If I had some sort of idea on the theory I'm sure I could cut the time down significantly.

I am basically one of those "learnt everything myself" types, and as a result I assume I'm doing stuff wrong, or im taking the long way, and I'd like something to read at work cause they give me a stupid 1 hour lunch break (yeah I know I shouldn't complain, but it's boring!!)

Also, I want to get this knowledge under my belt because I am finally ready to record my own solo album and want it to be wicked-awesome.

So does anyone have opinions on this book?? My solo stuff is mainly rock, with lots of keyboard stuff (mainly ambient stuff, but some lead piano now and then) real drums for the most part, big guitars (i'm a guitar player mainly) both slap and fingered bass, acoustic guitar, and of course my own particular brand of singing (cover your ears)

I also am working on a video game soundtrack right now where I am almost exclusively working with midi, so I would like a bunch of info on that.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:33 PM

Default Re: \"Producing in the home studio with protools\"

I have this book and I found it quite useful. I got it as a complete PT newbie so I was starting from nothing. I used it and the PT manual together to supplement each other. I don't think I have the newest version though because mine is for version 5.x.

--joe
Old 09-06-2004, 03:32 PM

I have the newest edition. I found/find it extremely useful, and it's the best 40 bucks I ever spent.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:40 PM

does it address most of the issues I mentioned?
Old 09-06-2004, 07:59 PM

I have the original book from a couple years ago. Its just a basic PTLE and general recording techniques book, so if you are fairly new then it might be helpful. IMO the PT books I have read have pretty much the same info as in the PT manual so I just RTFM alot.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:28 AM

I bought the David Leather book but have looked at most of them and to be honest if you've been using your PTLE system for more than six months or so, your best friend is the PT Reference Guide that you get with the system.

G5 iMac 20" 1.8GHz 1GB 160GB / Lacie FW80GB
OSX 10.3.5 / MBox / PTLE 6.7