Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 09-13-2017, 12:41 PM

Default Hackintosh latest details?

Hi folks, I've been rocking a hack for over 4 years (knocking on wood) and while it took some setting up, and is showing its age, it's done great.

Looking at updating based on tonymac recommended build, but it's "only" 4 cores and the graphics cards (among other things) aren't what I'm seeing folks report in the few posts here regarding hacks that WORK with ProTools. Also not sure if the thunderbolt on the recommended motherboards will run an HD Native Thunderbolt interface? Of course I could do pcie native.

Sorry if this has been covered but I'm not seeing many posts when searching the DUC. Just trying to get it all on one page the budget. I understand the risks and time investment of a hack - I blew up a power supply and went through a lot of anguish getting mine up and running - just trying to decide what the time and anguish is gonna cost/save.

Hack = $1500 based on tonymac recommended builds, 4-core 4.2g i7 (7700k)

used 2013 6,1 MacPro = $2500ish for a 6-core 3.5g xeon x5, qualified refurb from OWC or B&H

new 6,1 MacPro = $3000 6-core 3.5g xeon x5

Am I missing something?

THANKS
Old 09-13-2017, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Hackintosh latest details?

I am running a Hackintosh with the following:
GigaByte GA -M170X Gaming 5
Intel i7 4.00GHz 6700k Skylake processor
EVGA GeForce GTX960

I am running OS 10.12.2 and PT HD 12.7.1 like a rock.

I don't intend to update either OS or PT version for years to come at this point. It's super solid and I don't feel like messing with that at all.

I couldn't tell you about the thunderbolt issue, as I am not using thunderbolt on my system currently.

Last edited by Inglesworth; 09-13-2017 at 05:26 PM. Reason: thunderbolt info
Old 09-13-2017, 06:43 PM

I've got a solid hack that I built last in January. Details in my sig.

Running PT 12.8.1 with no issues as far as audio is concerned. Mixed several docs for broadcast over the last few months - running 10+ hours a day using the usual Post plugins with no problems.

I tried doing the thunderbolt thing last month by updating my BIOS, and I bricked my OS X install. Since I was there (f'd up install), I installed Win 10 and updated the thunderbolt drivers within Windows. I read that's supposed to work. However, I don't have any thunderbolt devices, so no clue if that did it. I just reinstalled OS X, and everything is working great. I guess I'll have to spring for a TB drive to see if the port is actually working.

Haven't tried VI's with 12.8.1 yet. I have Logic for that and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". However, now I'm curious. I'll load up a few instances of Kontakt and see how she holds up.

tg

Last edited by grayter1; 09-13-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:32 PM

Thanks guys!

Grayter I would be curious about Kontakt, I don't use it a ton but would miss it.

Are you both hd native or hdx?

I'm not a gearhead - is there any reason to believe that the newer upgrades on all these components (7700k vs 6700k, 1050 or 1060 vs 960) would cause it to bail on ProTools? What I've read says that from Sierra on the builds have been smooth.

Last edited by viaspiaggia; 09-13-2017 at 09:58 PM. Reason: extra questions
Old 09-14-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viaspiaggia View Post
I am HD native. My original intention was to use the s/pdif out from the motherboard to my monitors. Once I finally got my audio driver working (ugh...) it outputs a constant low-level noise. I ended up getting an M-track hub for $99 to use as a usb interface. I mainly do editing on this this computer, so I don't really need inputs.

If either of you guys have any ideas on making my audio driver not be noisy, I am all for it. I had an older hackintosh that someone else built for me years ago that did the exact same thing, so i feel like it must be something to do with the multibeast patch that makes the audio driver work. But by the time I got the audio driver to output anything at all, I was so over it that the $100 was worth not having the headache anymore.

Quote:
I'm not a gearhead - is there any reason to believe that the newer upgrades on all these components (7700k vs 6700k, 1050 or 1060 vs 960) would cause it to bail on ProTools? What I've read says that from Sierra on the builds have been smooth.
I would imagine there COULD be an issue with the different processors. Though, I think these processor types are common enough that they most likely have been tested by someone out there.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys!

Grayter I would be curious about Kontakt, I don't use it a ton but would miss it.

I'm a vanilla user, so no cards for me. I'm starting to do more Post work, so HD is on the horizon for me. I'm thinking it will just be the software only and I'll use my hardware.

Oh, and so far so good on Kontakt. I didn't push my system that hard, but it didn't push back.

tg
Old 09-14-2017, 10:50 AM

Wait, don't you need either and HDX card, or an HD Native pcie card or thunderbolt box to run HD? Obviously a PCIe card would work with a Hack vs needing to go thunderbolt for a trashcan mac.

I never did get motherboard audio working on my current hack, I just bought a super cheap USB deal cause I only use it for auditioning things, not actual production
Old 09-14-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Wait, don't you need either and HDX card, or an HD Native pcie card or thunderbolt box to run HD? Obviously a PCIe card would work with a Hack vs needing to go thunderbolt for a trashcan mac.

You can run Pro Tools HD software with any interface, if you want to use a DigiLink interface then you need HD Native or HDX hardware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2017, 11:39 AM

okay sorry I know this is veering off topic, I've lost track of all the versions and upgrade paths, seems to me it's deliberately confusing.

But I do post work, so recording 2-3 mics at a time for Foley and feet, then full surround mixing, maxing out tracks and lots but not tons of plugins.

So could I just get a decent CoreAudio I/O, upgrade my PT HD v10 to PT HD v12, and GO? That would save a lot of money, though buying second hand Avid gear vs an Aurora Lynx or similar just about comes out in the wash...
Old 09-14-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
okay sorry I know this is veering off topic, I've lost track of all the versions and upgrade paths, seems to me it's deliberately confusing.

So could I just get a decent CoreAudio I/O, upgrade my PT HD v10 to PT HD v12, and GO?
Yep.

I went through the same thing a few months back, and I found it just as confusing. Yes, as already stated, you can buy the HD software and use the interface of your choice. It's not cheap - current pricing for PT 12 HD software is $1,899, but the idea is that it should pay for itself at some point. As far as I can tell, that price is the upgrade from PT 11 or greater.

tg