Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-23-2014, 11:30 PM

Default composer files drifting quickly

Hi guys, getting files from a composer, and lining up via time code he was given at the start of each cue's movie. However his files are drifting, and quite a bit - on the order of 8 seconds late within about a minute of audio.

He is set up at 48k, and his Vegas Pro (!) says 24fps, while the movie is of course at 23.976.

It's too late for my brain to render all the possibilities, though I know this is beyond the .01% pulldown/up. What else could it be, and more importantly for our weekend screener deadline, what's the best approach to correct it?

Elastic Audio is working temporarily on sections and cues that have a hard sync point I can reference, but I need a solution that will work for those I can't easily identify.

Thanks, and apologies for any late night oversights on my part or bad typing!
Old 09-24-2014, 02:01 AM

Default Re: composer files drifting quickly

how does it sound? I'm thinking 48k session clocked to 44.1k

you know hat they say, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-24-2014, 02:27 AM

If the difference is 5s 300ms / minute, it's a 44.1/48kHz problem. There would also be a difference in pitch, of course
Old 09-24-2014, 08:02 AM

thanks guys. Unfortunately a .91875 adjustment (441 to 48) doesn't help. Pitch *seems* right as they came to me, though it's mostly synth or sampled strings and percussion so it's impossible to say for sure.

Looking at all his cues this morning, it's an inconsistent problem - ie a ratio that works for one cue doesn't make the others sync.

Going to have him make me QuickTimes with his score - we'll see if he has the same problem, or if his movies are playing weird, or ... I don't even know what!
Old 09-24-2014, 09:12 AM

You said his session is setup at 24fps, but the movie is 23.976 and you are lining up via the TC he was given. Part of the problem would be there because your TC rulers aren't going to match.

The other part could be the 48k session clocked to 44.1.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 09-24-2014, 10:02 AM

that's a good thought, but I think the editor is just sending him individual clips for scenes to score, with window burn, and I'm just going off that window burn.

He's currently confirming with me that QuickTime will let him set the audio to "48 hertz but only 16 bits, will that affect timing?" so I think he's not the most tech savvy. who knows what the issue is...