Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-15-2014, 11:57 AM

Default TrueVerb automation issues

Hi, I use TrueVerb as my stock room reverb for my direct-to-DVD kids clients. Not the highest end I know but always manage to make it work.

I typically have a single dialog room aux that everything sends to, and I automate the settings from room to room. Generally works well but on occasion it just doesn't load the settings right - it will load maybe 70% of the parameters correctly on playback, but then if I stop and place the cursor in the new location, it jumps to the correct settings on everything.

Ring a bell for anyone? Anything I can do to make it work every time?
Old 07-16-2014, 08:26 AM

Default Re: TrueVerb automation issues

for those waiting anxiously for the resolution, it's the interaction of the LINK parameter with automated parameters that usually respond to the the LINK. I often unlink things to customize my settings, and it was confusing the plugin. Turns out if I nudge the link automation one frame earlier it clears it up.

I'll be trying to avoid unlinked settings from now on when automating so heavily!
Old 07-16-2014, 11:13 AM

I have never had any automation issues with TrueVerb (as well as with any Waves plug-ins). But, there are 2 things to take care of:
1. It is a good habit to use 2 (or even more) Verbs and exchange scenes or shots between those 2, instead of automatic settings at a cut; you can change settings with a verb which is not "playing" at volume set to down;
2. Plug-ins do behave differently on PT|HD than PT|Native, which basically means, that native plug-ins sometimes are less responsive than dsp ones

Hope this helps
Best,
Kuba
Old 07-16-2014, 11:40 AM

Thanks Kuba. There was a time when I would have separate tracks and reverbs for different rooms but as my sessions get larger and voices and DSP are at a premium, it's made more sense to slim down. But having two tracks and at least alternating scenes is a great compromise!
Old 07-17-2014, 10:24 PM

I'm just impressed that viaspiaggia can actually hear the difference between different settings of Trueverb! (ba-dum-ching!).

(sorry, can't help it)

I'm with Kuba. I go A/B alternating between different Altiverbs as I move between scenes. Altiverb 7 loads much better than 6 did, but even so, I like the security of the A/B method.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:58 PM

a lot of my work is for animation in which case TrueVerb works well enough for created environments. On my recent slew of live action features I am quickly discovering it's limitations in matching the sound of an existing space!
Old 07-18-2014, 05:36 PM

You left out some important details; what exact version of Waves? Exact version of PT, Exact version of OS? Maybe you need an update somewhere

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave