Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 01-08-2015, 06:13 AM

Default Help for cross grade

Hi everyone and happy new year to all the DUC crew

I have a PT9 on my mac book pro and I want to upgrade on PT10 !
I've bought on the web a PT 10_2 installer to make the cross grade but I have few questions.

-Do I gonna loose my plugins ?
-Do I have the right install cause As I see it should be a cross grade and not a install?
-What about my license on my Ilok…Today I have a licenses for my PT9 but when the install of PT10 will be finished is my license will work again?

Thanks for your answer and sorry for my bad english writing but I'm french
Old 01-08-2015, 06:43 AM

Default Re: Help for cross grade

You can't 'buy' Pt's 10 without someone transferring the PT10 license to your iLok. There is no PT's 10 crossgrade, only PT10/11 from the Avid store.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 01-08-2015, 06:50 AM

Thanks for your help...
I don't want to upgrade to PT11 only to 10…
So Can I use this install ? is it going to work with my license iLok ?

If I buy the cross grade on avid shop may I choose the version of PT I want ?

Same question for my plugins install ….I'm going to loose them ?
Old 01-08-2015, 10:26 AM

I'm not sure what you bought but an install alone is useless without the ilok authorization asset. I'll let you sort that issue out.

As for what you should be doing is purchasing the Protools 11 crossgrade. It will require you to surrender your Protools 9 license asset for a combination license asset for Protools 10/11. You will deposit that ilok asset into your ilok account and transfer it to your ilok device (which will remove the Protools 9 asset at the same time). Now that you have the asset on your ilok, you may download the software installer for either Protools 10 and/or Protools 11 from your Avid account (no need to buy). Since you are interested in Protools 10 only at this point. Simply uninstall Protools 9 (since it will no longer work), and install Protools 10. Most of your plugins will continue to work (some may need to be updated). The issue with plugins really only becomes a problem when you go to Protools 11 where it no longer supports RTAS or AAX32 plugins. At that point you should upgrade all your plugins to AAX64 format.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 01-08-2015, 12:17 PM

As the others already have mentioned you need to buy a ProTools 10/11 license to be able to use PT10 or 11.
And you can use your Pro Tools 9 to upgrade to Pro Tools 10/11 for $200.- off the regular price now.
Have a look at the chart there.
http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/protools11/

Officially you will be upgrading to Pro Tools 11 but you will get the license for Pro Tools 10 bundled with it.
Means if you buy the upgrade to Pro Tools 11 you will get licenses for both, 11 and 10.
There is no option for Pro Tools 10 only anymore as Dr Daw already has mentioned!
However you will find separate installers for both versions in your Avid account later and you only can download
and install Pro Tools 10 if you want finally.

But before you can do that you will have to buy a Pro Tools 11 (+10) license which will be sent to your iLok account
by Avid. You then will have to connect an iLok 2 to your computer and transfer this license from your iLok account
to the iLok.

After that your Pro Tools 10/11 license will be stored on your iLok and you will be ready to download, install and use
your favorite version of Pro Tools.

If you haven´t got it already you also will need to buy the iLok 2 for the Pro Tools 11/10 license. It will not work
with the blue iLok 1. This one you will need.
http://www.thomann.de/fr/pace_ilok_2.htm

As to your plugins OD has said it all.

The best of success to you,

cheers, VRW