Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 03-08-2021, 02:51 PM

Default Re: HD | Native card not recognized by Catalina?

Hi, Darryl:

Sorry about that; I did do the things you mentioned regarding kextstat, and it returned nothing at all. And the HDN card is now sitting on a shelf in a storage cabinet I have, so it's out of the equation.

For the record, it's a ULN-2 3d, running with MIOConsole public beta 10-138; MHLink driver 2.1.00; and the unit itself is v.6.0.118 (is that the firmware version? I don't know but it's completely up to date).

I'm running OS 10.15.7 on a 2015 27" iMac17,1, quad-core i5, with 32GB RAM.

Now, here's what Jon at Metric Halo told me:

"Check the I/O menu in MIOConsole3d and try lowering the number of I/O channels to just above the maximum that you’ll need (16, for example), and see if this helps.

Another option is that you could try connecting the unit with USB instead of MHLink, and choose the ULN-2 as the playback engine."

Fortunately, the upgrade I had done to the ULN-2 included a USB-C to USB-3.0 A cable, which was long enough to reach from the unit to the computer. (When I bought the ULN-2 in 2011, it was FireWire.)

The result: Switching from MHLink to USB seemed to do the trick. I was able to drag an mp3 into a new project (Phil Collins, Against All Odds, if that matters ) and it played back fine. Then I added a stereo audio track and played my Roland Juno-DS along with the mp3 and that recorded fine as well.

So, it looks like I’m in business.

I’ll have to mess around with the number of inputs in PT, though the kind of stuff I’ve mainly done is one stereo or instrument track at a time. I haven’t used multiple mics for some years now because I haven’t had a need for it.

Regarding the MHLink, well, I don’t know what to do about that. I’m very seriously considering trading my 2015 iMac into OWC for a 2013+ Mac Pro, which has two Ethernet ports. Maybe connecting MHLink directly to the computer rather than through my Cisco switch will make a difference? It’s not all that big a deal, since I don’t see myself adding a whole rack of MH stuff, much as I’d like to…
Finale 26.3.1
Old 03-09-2021, 07:43 AM

Wow Finally !

Great News and Thank You for letting us know.

Darryl is right in that it might be overkill to uninstall Avid HD drivers for the pcie card but I just wanted to be very picky and make sure that nothing would be missed and interfere with the ULN interface drivers without anyone knowing.

So good that it is out of the computer chain as it is just no use inside the chassie anyway now.

And I’m really Glad you got the system working again. Really Good News brother

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-17-2021, 02:10 AM

My system consists of Mac Pro trashcan, 16x16 HD IO, C|24 control surface and an HD Native Thunderbolt. I had a (sort of) similar issue when updating from 2020.5 to 2020.12. The first issue I faced was that the talkback button on the C|24 was lit up, essentially locked. That was a quick fix directly in the C|24 preferences. Next, at the time, I had no need to track anything and was working on a mix of something older that needed some work. When I needed to track, I was getting nothing on the meters. Turns out that when doing the update the only thing that the PT installer recognized was nothing in terms of hardware. All the original settings for ethernet device and interface were gone. The playback engine showed Pro Tools aggregate. I don't think it was a driver issue as I had done a manual install before the update and then did the PT update. I went back in and set the ethernet device to 'C|24' and reset the playback engine to the HD IO and things worked again. The only anomaly I'm seeing now is trace readings on track meters and master meter when the system has tracks but is idle. If anyone has any idea what might cause that, I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP View Post
My system consists of Mac Pro trashcan, 16x16 HD IO, C|24 control surface and an HD Native Thunderbolt. I had a (sort of) similar issue when updating from 2020.5 to 2020.12. The first issue I faced was that the talkback button on the C|24 was lit up, essentially locked. That was a quick fix directly in the C|24 preferences. Next, at the time, I had no need to track anything and was working on a mix of something older that needed some work. When I needed to track, I was getting nothing on the meters. Turns out that when doing the update the only thing that the PT installer recognized was nothing in terms of hardware. All the original settings for ethernet device and interface were gone. The playback engine showed Pro Tools aggregate. I don't think it was a driver issue as I had done a manual install before the update and then did the PT update. I went back in and set the ethernet device to 'C|24' and reset the playback engine to the HD IO and things worked again. The only anomaly I'm seeing now is trace readings on track meters and master meter when the system has tracks but is idle. If anyone has any idea what might cause that, I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have.
It might be better for you to create your own thread. This one has drifted way off being relevant and you are just likely to create confusion asking more stuff here.

To get you started: Look at "Help us Help You" up the top of each DUC web page. Read that, and provide the basic info expected there when you create your own new thread for your problem. What expansion chassis are you using? macOS version? etc. If you are unsure how to create a new thread go here: https://duc.avid.com/index.php pick the forum section that seems most relevant to your problem and click the "New Thread" button up top of the post area on that page.

You really need to separate getting the HD interface running from anything to do with the C|24 mouse on steroids, they belong in different parts of your mind and different sections on DUC. Deal with the interfaces first. If no HD interface is showing up and you have not been fondling any hardware (and have the correct licensing) it is almost certainly a driver issue. Are you sure you have an Ultimate license and Digilink license on an attached iLok or cloud licensed and can't be accidentally using a Pro Tools standard license? Does the HD Card show up in macOS System Report? Please reply to any of this in your new thread.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-17-2021 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:28 PM

Hi:

Just to sort of close things from my end: I've finally updated my details.

But long story short: I was not really too pleased with my late-2015 27" iMac, so I decided to get rid of it and bought a late 2013 Mac Pro instead. (Though, I have to admit I really did like having three 27" displays to work with; now I'm down to 2 TB displays.)

Because I had used Carbon Copy Cloner each time I bought a new Mac over the last 10 years or so, a huge amount of system clutter was coming over to each new computer.

I started from scratch, updating the OS from 10.12 to 10.13, then 10.14, then to 10.15.7.

This time, I decided to bite the bullet and take a few days to just install only the things that 1) I use and 2) are compatible with Catalina. Sadly, I learned that one of the casualties was Finale 25, which doesn't run on Catalina. On the brighter side, the 1TB SSD that was the boot drive in the iMac had about 200GB free, and because of my careful installation of apps, the same size SSD on this computer still has over 650GB free. As I've always done, sound libraries, and my Pro Tools and Studio One recordings, are on an external 2TB Thunderbolt drive.

I took the Avid Omni out of the system entirely and removed the PCIe card from the Sonnet chassis. Since the Mac Pro has 2 Ethernet ports, I was able to connect the ULN-2 to the computer via MHLink, which thus far has worked flawlessly.

In Pro Tools, as well as Studio One 5, I have good audio input from my Roland Juno into the DAW, and good VI input with no noticeable lag. Since the vast majority of what I do only requires stereo input, I'm good to go. If for some reason I need more inputs at some point, I can deal with that when it's time.

For now, it seems that all systems are go.

I'm actually glad that I posted this question originally, because even though it was a fairly expensive project, I'm glad to have a rock-solid system where everything is cooperating, and where I've gotten rid of a huge amount of extraneous system clutter.

And, if I do decide to stop paying rent to Avid, I know I still have a stable DAW to work with.

Cheers,

GT
Finale 26.3.1