Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2014, 06:18 AM

Default PT 11 hanging after changing sample rate?

Hi.

I've been using Cubase for the past 12 years but have had to make the leap over to PT. I know PT11 is relatively new, and I've been holding off until I could at least get a workable set of plugins in AAX format, but the experience is going sort-of okay so far. A different mindset, maybe, but it's coming together...

The only issue I've discovered for now is that whenever PT changes my interface's sample rate (Lynx Aurora 16 over the Lynx USB ASIO driver), the whole thing locks up and I have to close/reopen the session in order to continue working. I've raised the issue over on the Lynx forum but thought it worth asking here.

The exact issue is that if the Lynx's sample rate is changed by PT, PT will no-longer see the interface. For example, if I open a project that's 44.1khz and the Lynx is at 44.1khz, no problem. If I then open a session at 48khz and PT goes and changes the Lynx to 48khz, the session won't play back and PT can't see the Lynx. I then close that (48khz) session - so the Lynx is left at 48khz mode - quit PT, then reopen the 48khz session, and it all works fine again. Of course, then if I need to open the 41khz session again I have to go through the same process...

I ask because I've had PT sessions sent over at 44.1khz (my main driver for needing to move to PT), whilst I tend to do everything at 48khz. Swapping between projects is kind of important..!

I haven't had issue with any other DAWs.

So, I guess the questions are
1) Is it just me?
2) Is it PT?
3) Is it Lynx?

thoughts/help much appreciated!!

thanks

benw
Old 07-23-2014, 09:47 AM

Default Re: PT 11 hanging after changing sample rate?

Are we on Windows or MAC here? If Windows, make sure to NOT let Windows use your PT interface as a Windows sound device. Designate the onboard sound card as the Windows sound device.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:54 AM

Windows 7.

I've just changed it so that the Lynx is not used for recording or playback by Windows - all the system sounds come out of the PC's onboard sound card. I had it set up like that anyway, but the lynx was listed as an option... Still does the same thing - very odd..
Old 07-23-2014, 10:07 AM

That IS odd. But you're on the right track. Are you using the Pro Tools ASIO for ALL driver?
Old 07-23-2014, 10:07 AM

In Windows you have to set your sample rate prior to entering the Protools application. PT does not reset the sample rate on the fly like many other DAWs written primarily for Windows. Also, you can't change the sample rate inside the program because it could conflict with your sound device's sample rate and that causes headaches as well.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:09 AM

No, it's Lynx's own ASIO USB driver. I've asked the same question on their forum too.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrab View Post
In Windows you have to set your sample rate prior to entering the Protools application. PT does not reset the sample rate on the fly like many other DAWs written primarily for Windows. Also, you can't change the sample rate inside the program because it could conflict with your sound device's sample rate and that causes headaches as well.
Right, that explains that one then...

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:41 AM

I'm pretty sure that for this to work in PT, you have to use the ASIO for ALL...