Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 08-30-2019, 09:58 AM

Default Future updates Question.

Hi, long time Cubase user here who has to use Pro Tools (v. 2019.6, Windows 10) from time to time.
Just updated my PT to 2019.6 and got myself a physical iLok, everything is working OK, only thing I notice that's detrimental compared to Cubase is..

Pro Tools seems much more Ram hungry than Cubase. I've got 16gb RAM and I'm going to upgrade to 32 in the next few days, but running the same session in both CB and PT is a very different experience. I've had a few memory crashes in PT and the ram meter has hit 100% a couple of times (cache set to normal and video engine is off) . The same session with the same Vi's runs perfectly smoothly in Cubase on the same machine.

Midi drum maps. Programming a midi beat in Protools is way more fiddly when you can't load a drum map. Finding the different drum articulations on your keyboard just takes longer in PT.

Apologies if this has been covered a million times before, but I'm not really part of the Avid community, so my question is, are these known issues that are likely to be rectified in future updates, or do most not have these issues?
Old 08-31-2019, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Future updates Question.

First, make sure to do ALL the optimization listed at AVID for your OS. Second, set ram cache about the size of your session audio files plus a bit-"Normal" actually means "off" in this case. Third go to the help us help you section and get a Sandra. Fourth , do the plug in tests outlined in many threads here as it sounds like a possible corrupt plugin or file issue-not ProTools specific necessarily, just affecting PT for whatever reason(such as AAX plugin difference from VST)
Old 08-31-2019, 09:03 AM

Many PT users sequence in Cubase or Logic and mix in Pro Tools. Others use VE Pro to host virtual instruments.

For optimizations suggestions beyond Avid's look here.

And always remember, AVID is DIVA spelled backwards.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-31-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
AVID is DIVA spelled backwards.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:12 AM

And here's a link to a fellow that's been around for ages with Windows optimizations - Black Viper http://www.blackviper.com/

QAPLA!