Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2001, 09:15 AM

Default Spontaneous "Shutdown & Restart". Has anyone else experienced this horror?

I have a great system:

Intel Pentium III 866 Processor
256MB 133mHz SDRAM
2 harddrives
Win 98
Digi001, etc...

However, every so often, my machine will, suddenly and without warning, shutdown and restart all by itself -- right in the middle of a session! Of course all unsaved work is lost. Has anyone else had this problem?
Could it be Ptls and Digi? Or is it solely related to my system.

Thanks [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2001, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Spontaneous "Shutdown & Restart". Has anyone else experienced this horror?

This also happens to me with my system. However, it has only happen while surfing the net not it PT LE (knock on wood). I've searched many threads and windows forum and people are saying it's either a power supply issue (I have only 150 watts), cpu too hot (don't think it's that) or bad ram. It's not PT related because it happened before I had my digi 001.

Philippe Dumas
Old 12-11-2001, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Spontaneous "Shutdown & Restart". Has anyone else experienced this horror?

Sorry forgot to mention my system

Dell
Intel Pentium III 733 Processor
256MB 100mHz SDRAM
1 harddrive
Win Me
Digi001, etc...

Working fine so far.
Old 12-11-2001, 11:44 AM

Yup. Had it happen to me when my system looked very similar to yours. And- after I updated it to a P4. I've been doing an awful lot of tweaking recently to try and improve performance and I haven't had problems in a while.

I was never convinced on the power issue. It always happened right when I gave the computer a command. It was never in the middle of a command execution or while the computer was idle.

Be sure to check out all of the optimization sites out there and fine tune the hell out of your system. Check for conflicts, clear clutter, defrag, scan disc, then make some music is you have any time left! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2001, 11:46 AM

yes, had it. Don't know what it is. still trying to track it down. Not sure waht the draw is from the 001, but I've only had it happen siance I installed it. I'm going to look into a good surge protecter and see if that remedies it. I'm not sure how clean the power is where I live.
Old 12-11-2001, 11:47 AM

"Control S" is your friend. Anytime you make a change on a session you intend to keep- hit it. It will save while you play audio... just get it the habit of constantly hitting it, or you'll be sorry. This habit has saved my ass many times. Just last week even!

I know this a bit obvious- but just in case you haven't formed this life saving habit yet...
Old 12-11-2001, 11:48 AM

Just being curious here...but what kind of hardrives do you guys have who are having the reboots? They wouldn't happen to be IBM 75GXPs would they?
ZALMAN CNPS7000B-CU RT
EnerMax EG365P-VE FMA 1.3 RT
GeForce2MX
Old 12-11-2001, 01:25 PM

Is your ram 1 stick or two? If two, are they the same manufacturer?
My brief spontaneous reboot problem was caused by using ram made by two different companies... even though they spec'd the same.
Just one other possibility.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by KnuckleHead:
I have a great system:

256MB 133mHz SDRAM
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-11-2001, 01:58 PM

Hi,
I personally think Peter is on the right track as per his information above. I have reported a number of times before in other threads that this happens (happened?) on my many times with a basic Win ME setup. In my case, it happened with any audio application (Windows Media Player, Acid Pro or Pro Tools) but only after using the machine for quite awhile or after loading many applications. One interesting case was when auditioning samples, I just kept playing media player over and over. This made it happen alot.

In researching the memory angle 6 months ago, I started using a program called Cacheman from a company called OuterTech I think. At the time it was version 4.5 or 4.9. I installed this and went from 1-2 a day to 1 a week. Big improvement.

About a month ago I upgraded to Cachemen version 5. I haven't had a single spontaneous reboot since.

Mark
Old 12-11-2001, 02:08 PM

I've also had this problem. Happened 2 or 3 times a day. I've had it happen while surfing the net, while in PTLE, WHILE BOOTING. I switched the setting in my BIOS to have the machine stay off if it looses power and it still rebooted. So, it's not a PS issue. I don't recall if this happened before the 001 because I was always rebooting manually all the time anywho. However, I recently plugged it straight into the wall and it hasn't rebooted for a month. Don't know what caused it. Still a mystery.

MasterJ [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]