Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Mixed Up!

Hey What's up Duc! I have a question for some of you experienced mixers. Can you guys give me a general path of travel when it comes to starting a mix. I am fairley new to mixing, and I kind of need a general guide line on what to start with, and how to navigate through a mix! I know this is a very subjective subject, and I realize that there are probably a million and one ways to go about it, but for a person that is new to mixing, to many options can be overwhelming!

If some of you guys could give me a general idea of how you go about mixing your projects, then that will give me a system to work with, and once I know what I am doing then I can incorporate my own style into the*process. Until then, any help will be appreciated!

Thanks very much!
Old 08-12-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Mixed Up!

What kind of music are you doing? Generally I'm rough mixing as I'm tracking, so there is no set 'starting point', I just tweak off of the mix that's been happening all along.... but if I'm given a track from someone else just to mix, I usually start with drums and bass and move up from there, but that's just for standard pop/rock stuff, I approach other genres differently.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:45 PM

Sorry I left out that little detail! I am doing hip hop, r&b!
Old 08-13-2005, 03:43 AM

HI,

general path: http://www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com/directory.htm

no matter what genre you´re in, there are some basics to be learned and how they fit together.
as long as you don´t master the basics you will get nowhere.
the rest comes with practice and experience.

regs