Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2014, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Can I move my Reason Factory Soundbank to an external hard drive?

Because "old school" still follows the principle that you have a system drive, a "work" drive and a sample drive from the days when drives failed more regularly and we worked on less than GHz processors, with slower buss speeds, limited RAM and megabit drives. Things could bottleneck pretty quickly, crash and burn and data could be corrupted.

Nowadays this rule of thumb is not so hard and fast, especially if one maintains their drives and data well. Back then I used to use Retrospect to backup my drives to tape.

On my laptop everything is pretty much on my system drive, but on my main recording machine I am old school. Though my system drive is 2 TB, samples aren't the issue they used to be. But to be safe I still have 3 or 4 drives internally and use externals as backups. I do a lot of post work so I have a drive dedicated to my SFX library and samples and one for PT sessions in addition to the system drive. That said all my Reason stuff is together in the Reason folder, but other sample stuff is on the other drive.

I work with and have worked with composers who have dedicated sample machines and recording machines. It's only been recently that some of them have felt comfortable enough to do both on the same machine.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Can I move my Reason Factory Soundbank to an external hard drive?

Also, if you work from a small SSD drive and put everything on secondary or tertiary drives you space will always be at a premium on you main drive.