Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2015, 01:58 PM

Default Exporting a Logic Project to my Pro Tools System

Hello - I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction or recommend a good resource for this. My buddy, who lives in a different city, has an older macbook and runs Logic 9. I run Pro Tools. We're hoping to be able to send projects back and forth to load on our own systems so we can add tracks, etc. Ideally we'd like to save it in a way that preserves as much info as possible, then upload it to Dropbox. The clearer the process/instructions the better as neither one of us are experts on this stuff. We just like to record our music. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is my system info: iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010), OS X Version 10.8.5 Mountain Lion, Processor - 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3, Memory- 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Pro Tools v. 10.3.8, External LaCie Hard Drive, Interface - PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL,

And here is his system info; He bought his Macbook around 2005 - Mac OS X Version 10.6.8, Snow Leopard - Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Memory: 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM Software: Logic 9*- Apogee Duet Interface
Old 04-05-2015, 03:11 PM

Default Exporting a Logic Project to my Pro Tools System

Stop the pain now and get both of you on the same DAW (and at least same major version) and the same agreed to set of plugins you will work with. Alternately your best bet is shuffling back and forwards bouncing tracks/projects to disk. You can export midi and import it into the other DAW, if a VI you will need the same VI on both systems and any expansion/sample goodies that are used.... Or just bounce that as audio if it does not need to be messed with.

I have never seen AAF or OMF exchange work enough to be useful. Ditto for any conversion utilities. There are folks kicking around now claiming they can get stuff to collaborate online, I am beyond dubious when you are dealing with two different, complex, incompatible and proprietary formats from companies that compete with each other.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Exporting a Logic Project to my Pro Tools System

whole consolidated files all start at the same point in time (all files having a sync pop at the top and tail would be even better)
VIs/MIDI, print everything

that's my recommendation

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-05-2015, 03:41 PM

I agree with CraigF. Almost all the work I do involves files coming from multiple people/DAW's at some point in the process. I often even use multiple DAWs myself in the course of a project. PT for audio recording/editing/mixing. Logic/Cubase for midi work. Exporting consolidated wavs is the easiest way. If you are only adding some stuff just have them send a stereo mix over or maybe some stems. Or as Daryl said buy the exact same DAW and plugins. If it's someone you are partnering with for a lot of work that may be worth it. I know a producer here in Nashville that partners with a mix guy that has the exact same PT/plugin setup so he can make mix tweaks on his own.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:07 PM

In Logic you do this by selecting "Export tracks as audio".
Old 04-06-2015, 01:34 PM

Thanks for your suggestions!