Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-09-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Re: BlackLion update???

Anybody have an idea on the timeframe for a BLA mod?
Old 06-09-2007, 06:58 PM

When you book it in I believe they keep it for about a week. Email, they are very friendly and helpful...
Old 06-09-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Anybody have an idea on the timeframe for a BLA mod?
I am local to BLA. I made an appointment, dropped the unit off and picked it up myself, plus paid the expedite fee. Day and a half.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 06-09-2007, 10:21 PM

Ever thought about the Apogee Ensemble? You get Apogee converters and 4 mic pres. for under 2 grand. Relieves the guesswork. At least you can return the Apogee. Can you get your money back if you're not satisfied with the mod?
But if you do get a mod please let us know what you think of it?
cb
Old 06-11-2007, 06:48 PM

thought about the ensemble...but i don't want to add that to the 002, and i don't want to use LOGIC ('cause i can't freakin understand anything in there) and also i heard they were the same pre's and a/d as the mini-me which is a big improvement over the 002, but it doesn't sit up high with the rest of the apogee products.

i tried the mini-me plugged adat into the 002, better but not amazing. also i am not seasoned as most people, so there will probably be lots of posts saying how stupid i am. but like i said, i can hear a pretty big difference on the blacklionaudio site, it's not mind-blowing amazing difference, but more than i personally heard with the mini-me that i burrowed from a friend.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:43 AM

DO the Tweak Head. Ridiculous improvement. If it's in your budget, or if you are even slightly considering getting a master clock or outboard A/D front end, do this instead; if it isn't the same quality as what the outboard will give you, it will be darn close, and at a fraction of the cost.

I had various problems sending the box back and forth (RF noise, preamp distortion issues, dead channel), and while it was a hassle sending it back and forth from Canada to Chicago, it's been WELL worth it. I had originally sent my box in for the analogue and clock last, uh, fall or so. Matt and Jim have been extremely helpful and willing to put things right... let's just say I got my money's worth and, in the end, I now have a box with the full Tweak Head package, plus the AKM chip upgrade (although I had to get the chips myself).

Quick recording with just a mic and me was real good... tried listening back to myself from the analogue front end, then monitoring back through the 002r headphone jack, and while it wasn't a blind A/B and I had to make some gain adjustments for the different paths, the sound was as similar as I would think it could be. Recorded track sounded good on playback anyway.

Mixing has been INCREDIBLE. Imaging is SOOO much better now; smallest tweaks with verbs and delays are way easier to hear instead of having to "squint". Bass is WAY tighter, solid; I now understand what 300Hz is, and it's not just mud, nor is 100Hz and 80Hz roughly the same thing. I can see cutting down on mixing time drastically now; all that effort to get 80% there will be much reduced, and you'll be able to spend the rest of your time futzing and fussing over details instead of having been fatigued with your previous efforts. I e-mailed them back some comments, and you can see that in the "reviews" portion of their website now.

If all you can get is the original mod, definitely do that. If you can possibly afford the Tweak Head mod, definitely do that. Either one are well worth the money, in my limited but honest opinion.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:06 AM

I got the HD mod because they don't offer the tweak head for the console. AHHHHHHH, EHHHHHHH, OOOOOOFFF this is the first time i've ever wanted the 002 rack. i sure hope they figure out a way to do something to the 002 console sometime soon
Old 06-22-2007, 09:22 AM

So what was the first thing I do when I get it back? Open it up. Because that's what I do when I get new electronic things.
I can't imagine how they'd fit the stuff into the console 002. I don't think it would be a "development" issue; the toroid is a square block of stuff, and low-emission or not, you don't want that crammed in right next to your signal ribbons. Plus there's a heatsinking thing with the power supply; apparently the current draw is enough that they run some stuff way longer than the direct way to provide for proper heatsinking. Haven't popped the hood on the console 002, but I vaguely know the size of it, and assuming it's pretty much the same boards and board layout plus the faders/controls systems, I can't imagine there's going to be a way to throw the extra bits and pieces in there too. And the way I've seen it wired in, I can't imagine having the bits and pieces as a sidecar of some sort or external thing... too many connections to run into the box, too many things to go wrong. I offered to put it in myself as a project thing, and Matt (correctly) discouraged me from doing so.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:01 PM

got the HD mid-level mod done...only had a chance to play around with my djembe...a 421 underneath and a 57 on top...sounds great!!! 2 tracks alone really don't give me enough to see how much the A/D has changed, but as far as the mic pre's there is a very nice difference...even to someone who doesn't consider himself a seasoned veteran like me. also i believe i'm seeing a hotter signal with the pre's, even though i didn't get the tweak head mod. this thing rocks! couldn't be happier

by the way i did get an e-mail from blacklion saying that there might be a tweakhead mod for the console around the corner, possibly in a month or two.

i'm very impressed with these guys, just speaking quickly on the phone with them and their communication...and now how good just a 57 on a djembe head is sounding through the 002 pre. i wish those guys the best of luck and hope that business takes off...can't wait to buy their first micpre/compressor (hurry up guys)
Old 06-27-2007, 04:56 PM

I'm getting the Tweak Head next month. I'm reading this thread with avid interest. Good to hear there's a discernible difference. And it's for the good.
Wheels