Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 10-16-2018, 09:14 PM

Default OMF becomes corrupt after importing

I have imported an OMF (embedded) into my session accidentally with the option of links where possible (I had just trashed pro tools prefs). This worked fine. So I mixed the it out and delivered to client. When I went to backup the project I found the OMF Pro Tools was referencing is on a network drive (disc permissions set wrong, again pro tools prefs). So I changed the disc permission back to transfer, opened the session again.

Here's the fun part. If I try to open the session the OMF and error says that the OMF is unreadable or corrupt. If I change the disk prefs back so all the audio is linked again to the network drive, and try to save session as Pro Tools locks up. If I try to import the OMF into a new session Pro Tools says the the off is unreadable or corrupt. If I try to consolidate the audio files that are from the OMF on the timeline pro tools locks up. The best I can do is bounce out each track which is a massive pain.

Please help. I have at least 10 sessions in this situation.

James Dean

Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.7.0 HD NATIVE
OSX 10.12.04
Focusrite Red 4 Pre
Old 10-23-2018, 08:01 AM

Default Re: OMF becomes corrupt after importing.

Have you had any luck resolving this. I am having a similar issue. I found replacing the OMF file for the original sent to me fixed the issues I was having for a period. Some clips in my session reference the OMF and some behave fine but others don't. If I try and consolidate some clips PT crashes. I've also had random bursts of static when trying to play clips referencing the OMF or nothing playing at all.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:02 AM

Same here. Thankfully, I work in the same building as the video editor, so it's easy for me to get him to re-export. In my case, we both work on the same SAN. But I've taken to copying OMFs to my PT session folder until this bug is fixed. That way, if one gets hosed, I can recopy from the original.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 10-23-2018, 12:53 PM

Me too, happening all the time. For me it may not happen until well into the program, but sure enough it will happen. When checking the OMF file after corruption I find it has changed size. This started for me after 2018.4 into 2018.7. I have learn't to keep a copy on my machine, replacing it usually has me up and running again but I have had one instance where it didn't fully recover. This problem causes considerable grief when working to deadlines, please fix.

Les Paul Goldtop 1968 (from new)
www.larrykillip.com

Last edited by silverhammernz; 10-23-2018 at 01:16 PM. Reason: more added.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:02 PM

Default Re: OMF becomes corrupt after importing

No luck sorting this but I am flat out busy at the moment so haven' had a good chance. Consolidate won't work for me either but bypassing plugins and bouncing seems to work but this is a major pain. I don't have access to the OMFs before pro tools messed with them. The sessions are all linking to the OMFs but the OMFs are on another drive and I can't consolidate these sessions and back up.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:28 PM

Default Re: OMF becomes corrupt after importing

Sounds like you have it bad. My OMF is on another drive with a spare one saved elsewhere. This problem for me is guaranteed to happen at least once or twice during a job, usually longer work 45mins etc. As mentioned previously, after the corruption the OMF file size changes and is smaller than original and in one case the whole file completely disappeared. I have never had this happen before PT 2018.4. Might have to use Avid support for the first time ever, if only just to make them aware of the problem. (Have you done this?).

Les Paul Goldtop 1968 (from new)
www.larrykillip.com