Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-29-2018, 07:41 PM

Default Missing Files - Ignore ?

Ok, so this rarely happens to me, and over the years I have figured out how to not allow it to happen and what causes it, etc.. And I swear on this session, Pro Tools has lost its mind.

So straight to the point - How do you tell Pro Tools to permanently ignore trying to Link Missing Files on start up ? I can't find that option anywhere and every single time I launch this one session it asks for 6 missing files it does not need. So annoying.

Furthermore, before you say anything - LOL I know for sure I did everything right when deleting these files from the session first. The way I been doing this is systematic once I figured it out years ago to never let this happen again. Yet oddly with this session it kept telling me it couldn't delete them because they were being used. I said, no, saved restarted (figuring the session was just going on some old "undo" possibility.) -

Well after restart it still said it was using these files that it wasn't. Totally stumped. So instead of telling it to delete permanently from disk I finally just said to remove them. I then went and deleted them myself. Emptied trash, restarted computer for total clean start.

Now I launch session and it says the missing file link thing and man, so annoying cause it isn't using them anywhere in the session. Plays fine sounds fine. Super small session too. So I know.

At this point I just want PT to be told to permanently ignore wanting to link/find these files. How is this done ?

Thanks in advance for any help !
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Any fool can complicate things;
It takes a genius to simplify them

Old 09-30-2018, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Missing Files - Ignore ?

Open the Clips bin and right-click>Select>Offline. The scroll and see if you still have some off-line files(any off-line files will be in light grey and italicized). If any are highlighted, use the Clear option. Next step (for me) would be trashing prefs

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-30-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Open the Clips bin and right-click>Select>Offline. The scroll and see if you still have some off-line files(any off-line files will be in light grey and italicized). If any are highlighted, use the Clear option. Next step (for me) would be trashing prefs
Thanks for chiming in Dave. Yea, I literally have 9 things in my Bin. lol All 9 are well identified by my brain. But I tried what you said anyway (good idea btw) and of course nothing new became highlighted.

Why does PT even do this ? And if they know it does sometimes, there should be a 4th option in that dialog window after "Skip All", "Manually Find and Link", Automatically Find and Relink" AND "PERMANENTLY IGNORE".

Don't we all agree ?

Anyway, yes let me try trashing prefs. Thanks for the advice.
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Old 09-30-2018, 07:14 PM

I'm not totally sure but I think you are not displaying automatically created clips.
In the clip list menu under 'show', select "show auto-created" (or something like that, not in front of the computer).
Then you can select these clips in the clip list and remove them from the session.
Apologies if this is not your issue.
If not, then I would also recommend trashing preferences.
5,1 Mac Pro, 3.46 GHz Six Core Xeon, 48gb ram, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6, HD Native card, Avid 192io interface, Avid 96io, Intensity Pro video card, Radeon HD 7950 graphics card, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:16 PM

If this is only happening with 1 session, I would try a work-around. Highlight all the tracks and go to File>Export>Export Selected tracks as new session>check the boxes for Audio Files, and for Main Playlist only. Export to your recording drive, but with a different name(it will default to saving as "Copy of xxxxxx", but you can rename before you save if you want a different name. Another option would be(with Pro Tools closed), rename the original session folder>Open the session and do as above. That SHOULD give you a session with everything you need, but no messages about missing files

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-01-2018, 09:30 PM

Create a default workspace. Go to your session and audio files in there. Select all offline and see what gets picked up.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:18 AM

Sorry it took so long to reply and update everyone. I just got super swamped, and then somehow came down with a case of Shingles. In which I'm still recovering. Not nice !

Anyway, guys nothing worked. Simply put these files are not there offline or anywhere else no matter what I tried. Session doesn't need them, Yet the session thought it did. And remember, this session is super tiny too. Like 8 files in the bin and 3min long. Super simple to find stuff. Very barebones.

Ultimately, I did what albee said, and it then worked like it should. I then deleted the old original session and called it quits.

Pretty simply work around but IMO, PT should just simply add a "Permanently Ignore Missing Files" feature.

That said, I do have to admit this rarely happens to me. And when I say rarely, I mean like 8-10 years ago was the last time it happened.

Thanks again guys ! And for future reference, if this happens to anyone else (and Avid still hasn't come with that feature yet). Just import/export all tracks, data and files etc.. into a new session named something different. It will be fixed from there.
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]