Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 01-22-2013, 07:09 PM

Default Pro Tools 10 MIDI Recording Q: How to Record Dynamics but no notes from Breath Ctrler

Hi All,

May seem like a fairly weird question, but I am doing some sampling based music. I like the breath controller a lot for providing dynamics, but the fingerings are a bit annoying and lead to some spurious notes during the transitions. I also have a midi keyboard which is useful for putting in the right notes. What I really would like to do is go through a phrase once with the keyboard, providing the right notes, and then go back through with the midi breath controller in order to provide dynamics. Is this possible? Ideally I'd like to tell ProTools just to read in the breath information but not the note information from the midi breath controller. I know there are work-arounds...like playing a particular note and deleting it later, but that's not ideal because the process of recording is made worse by hearing bad notes in addition to the right ones, even if I can delete them later. I know I could also copy the breath information from another track, but that seems cumbersome and again I can't monitor what the end result would sound like in real time.

Does anyone have any ideas? Learning the fingerings for a midi breath controller seems almost like learning another instrument, and I would rather circumvent that.

Thank you,
-Ben
Old 01-22-2013, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 MIDI Recording Q: How to Record Dynamics but no notes from Breath Ct

Go through and record the notes, like you suggest.

Then go to setup>MIDI>Input filter…

Then choose "only"> breath controller… or what ever controller you wish to record exclusively.

Since it is a global setting you'll need to do this in 2 passes, like you envision.

Also remember to turn it off when done
Old 02-12-2013, 05:37 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 MIDI Recording Q: How to Record Dynamics but no notes from Breath Ct

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
Go through and record the notes, like you suggest.

Then go to setup>MIDI>Input filter…

Then choose "only"> breath controller… or what ever controller you wish to record exclusively.

Since it is a global setting you'll need to do this in 2 passes, like you envision.

Also remember to turn it off when done
This might be easier:
Record the initial MIDI keyboard track.
On a second track in a separate record pass record the breath controller information.
Merge the MIDI information on the two tracks.
Done.
MIDI filter only helps if you are playing the keyboard and using the controller at the same time which he doesn't want to do. The reason I say to do it in two tracks instead of recording with MIDI merge is if a screw-up happens you don't have to worry about messing up the already layed-down keyboard part.

QAPLA!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
MIDI filter only helps if you are playing the keyboard and using the controller at the same time which he doesn't want to do.
Your method is fine and I agree that recording to a 2nd track eliminates the effort of paying attention to your midi merge mode. By having both tracks set to the same midi output he could easily monitor the effect in realtime while recording the breath controller. Then just one extra step to merge.

However, I disagree with what you said about the midi input filter. It is a global setting, so if you are set to "only" "breath controller" then that is all you are going to get on any track from any controller. It's usefulness seems pretty limited because of this, but my suggestion makes good use of it.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post

However, I disagree with what you said about the midi input filter. It is a global setting, so if you are set to "only" "breath controller" then that is all you are going to get on any track from any controller. It's usefulness seems pretty limited because of this, but my suggestion makes good use of it.
You missed the point I was trying to make and that is the MIDI input filter is it's not necessary if he's recording to separate tracks - one for the actual playing and one for the breath controller. Sure it's good if you want to keep spurious recording of MIDI data but you shouldn't get that if all you're doing is using, say, the breath controller. The op is using separate controllers - keyboard and breath. No need for MIDI filter if he's just using the breath controller and not the keyboard.

QAPLA!