Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 01-02-2013, 03:32 PM

Default Midnam error please help!

I have done a thorough search on this and tried most if not all previous suggestions, and am suffering badly from humour failure

I am trying to get my XV-5080 working in PT, but as you might tell, it doesn't work, at all.

The XV-5080 is set up in Apple Midi Studio, but Pro Tools still does not see it in any of the menus (as I am going through a midisport 4 x 4 and PT only sees those ports and directly plugged units). I can use it as a straight forward midi track (although to actually hear it play back midi it needs to be set to 'input only monitoring', and I cannot find a clear explanation as to why, or where in the documentation it tells you that - I would appreciate understanding that if anyone knows?)

The error I get is 'Pro Tools could not find appropriate patch names in the currently selected patch name document because either the manufacturer/model information or instrument mode do not match' - which happens to be pretty descriptive for a generally useless error message, especially given that the midnam file was supplied in the PT installation! I have tried other files, but alas no joy.

I have a hunch that it is because it is going through the Midisport, and obviously that is not an XV, though as the XV has no USB port, and the mac has no 5 pin din ports, I am left with little option.

If anyone has got an XV5080 working seamlessly with the midnam working, I would be really interested in how you did it, or any tips as to what to try.

BTW Digidesign, there is plenty of room for improvement here...especially in your documentation
Old 01-02-2013, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Midnam error please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon says View Post
The XV-5080 is set up in Apple Midi Studio
But probably not correctly, if Protools only shows port names for the 4x4 and does not name them with the synth. Since a midnam for the XV-5080 appears to be part of the default installation, your setup should be easy to do. The people who have big troubles are usually the ones who can't find a midnam and need to create one...

Post a screenshot of your AMS setup to photobucket
Old 01-03-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
But probably not correctly, if Protools only shows port names for the 4x4 and does not name them with the synth.
Thanks Flommer quite right! On seeing your reply I checked all the wiring and created a new config from scratch and I am a step further: The XV5080 is now showing the patches, however, if I select patches in PT they do nothing on the XV! Notes play but I am not getting any patch name changes working. Any idea as to why would be great.

The Axiom, BCF and LPD8 are all USB, I am using the Korg as a keyboard, not looking for sounds off it right now.

pic is here: http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps99144a9c.png

many thanks
Old 01-04-2013, 01:26 AM

In AMS, you can turn on test mode. When you click on the connector arrows, the 4x4 should send random midi data to the 5080. You should see some kind of "midi activity" light indicating that it is receiving midi. (If you have your monitors on make sure they are turned down) This will help prove that your connection is working. Also, in AMS click the 5080 icon then click "info" make sure it is enabled to receive on all 16 channels.

If test is not working, it could be a cable or maybe a setting on the 5080.

If test is working, then maybe it is something you are doing inside protools.

Only thing I can think of there is that you have to select a bank and then also select a patch.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:11 AM

Thanks for your help. I am most of the way there, and have taken all your suggestions on board. I am getting midi messages loud and clear, notes all work well, changing the patches doesn't seem to work. the unit is getting messages of change, but for instance the panning and volume all work, messages are being received, but I cannot find any record of the changes in the 5080 itself - though I am not sure if those parameters are sequencer controlled or XV controlled

All the receive and transmit info seems to be correct in both AMS and on the 5080, I have to say it is a bit perplexing. I will go back to the XV and see if there is a setting I missed there.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:07 PM

Hi Simon,

Just wondering - even this is an old post - have you been able to solve this issue ? I am planning to buy a used XV-5080 and of course, if there's no way to access it (patches and banks) there's no way I'm going to buy it....

...Unless it works under Cubase Pro 8 ?

I aim to replace a JV-1000 for space issues in my studio, but I might finally keep it (even though your issue seems to be Roland-related, as I did not find a way yet to change patches on this unit - but I'm not a good example, as I never really used MIDI on Pro Tools yet....)