Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 09-24-2010, 10:51 AM

Default Hello Fellow Drummers (or Drum software users)

Hey Gang

I am new to posting here, but have had ProTools LE for about a year (I love it)

Are there any drummers using drum samples out there? instead of recording your own drums?

Or just drum sample users in this forum?

Themaltake Spedo Advance, Win 7 32bit Pro, ASUS EVO, I-7 860, 3 WD Blacks, Kingston HyperX KHX2000, ASUS EAH4350 Silent, Pro Tools LE 8.0.4cs2 and now PT 10 on Win 7 64bit, I-7 and I-3
Old 09-25-2010, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Hello Fellow Drummers (or Drum software users)

Tons of drummers use samples(as do non-drummers). Sometimes the samples are the actual drumkit being recorded! What are you looking for here(your post is not specific)? I use samples as my room is on the smaller side, so getting great sounds from an acoustic kit can be tough. I can usually get everything sounding good except for toms(a great room and room mics can make a big change there) so I will often use Drumagog and replace the tom sounds. My S.O.P. is to record midi with a Roland TD10 kit and use Toontrack Superior Drummer. If the drummer prefers, I will have them use real cymbals and hat(placing 3-4 mics). This is actually my favorite method as it gives the "air" from the real brass and mics, but allows me great control over the shell sounds(I can go to mix and choose all sorts of available samples and really fit the song).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-25-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
... What are you looking for here(your post is not specific)? ......).
I am just curious as to the uses (electronic and acoustic drums) and experience level of the users in this forum.

Tell me a little about Drumagog, I do not know what that does?

Themaltake Spedo Advance, Win 7 32bit Pro, ASUS EVO, I-7 860, 3 WD Blacks, Kingston HyperX KHX2000, ASUS EAH4350 Silent, Pro Tools LE 8.0.4cs2 and now PT 10 on Win 7 64bit, I-7 and I-3
Old 09-25-2010, 04:22 PM

Drumagog is one of several drum replacement plugins. Say you recorded a batch of drum tracks and the snare sounds like crap(and you really don't want to make the drummer or band play the songs again with another mic, or the kit was garbage and you recorded the best you could). You can insert Drumagog on the snare track and with the proper settings, Drumagog will "play" a nice new snare sample exactly as the original snare was played(but with your great sounding sample). As soon as my website is up, I will have a sample of this very thing(but sadly, webmaster is behind). TL Drum Rehab, and Digidesign SoundReplacer are 2 more plugins(there are others).

Re. my comment of replacing the drum with the same drum, imagine that you recorded the kit, but there is way too much bleed of hi hat coming into the snare mic. You could try gating(not my preference) or you could create your own sample of the snare by recording a few hits with nothing else being hit. Now you have a clean sample of your own snare drum and you can use Drumagog to replace the old snare sound(full of bleed from the rest of the kit) with your clean snare sample(same sound, better control). Some plugins allow you to blend the original sound with the new sample(you can control the amount of leakage!!). You could also duplicate the track and use 2 samples(like if you had 1 great snap and crispness, and another with fat bottom end). If you can imagine it, there's likely a way to do it in digital.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-29-2010, 05:09 PM

Take a look at Steven Slate's Trigger program. Its a fair bit cheaper than Drumagog, and you can gradually build your library of replacement samples.

In terms of experience.....I've been recording for over 10 years at a pretty amatuer level. The last 3 years have been in the low range pro level I guess. I've only started using drum replacement very recently, but have had great resulsts.

The trick is to not let your drummer know that there is a sample in the mix. No matter how good it sounds, if the drummer has spent big $$ on his kit, he'll want to hear only that. No matter how crap the recording may have been.
- Yamaha HS80M
- Axiom Pro 49
- 500GB Sarotech Hardbox external HDD plugged through express card, FW800
- Waves Gold bundle, L3-16, Eddie Kramer
- 2 x Coles 4038, Royer 121, 2 x Shinybox MXL, 4 x SM57, 3 x SM58, AKG D112, SM81, Shure 16A, sE 2000, 3 x Audix D2
Old 09-29-2010, 06:37 PM

Drumagog is cool. Also SPL makes DrumXchanger

http://www.spl.info/?id=1110

I like to use Strike as my main drum program, and Superior Drummer 2 would be an extremely close second. I hate to even say "second" because it is very good. I just use Strike more...... for now.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-29-2010, 07:33 PM

It is a good idea to record single hits (like Albee said, earlier) after you get the entire drum-kit performance.
Then you could place a good sounding hit of a particular drum on the clipboard and Tab to Transients to paste over a few of the not-so-good sounding hits.
For MIDI recordings, I use Superior Drummer, as well.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barters81 View Post
Take a look at Steven Slate's Trigger program. Its a fair bit cheaper than Drumagog, and you can gradually build your library of replacement samples.
Thanks barters, bought it yesterday. Its awesome so far.
Cheers,
Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid