Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2010, 04:50 AM

Default Thinking about changing sides... (PC to Mac)

Hi all,

I have always been a PC user. *ducks* I have been reasonably happy with the performance I have gotten out of my systems and have had no intention to 'change sides'. One by one over the last year or so, most of my friends have 'changed sides'. Out goes the PC, in comes the Mac. They rave and carry on and say 'Brad, you need to get yourself a Mac'. I shrug it off. Today I'm browsing for my next system on the net and I'm persuaded to at least take a look at the new Macs. Fine, it won't hurt to look for a moment then go back to my PC. Well, I gotta say, I LOVE the new iMac. They look awesome.

Just wondering, will this realistically perform? I need maximum track count. I need to know it's worth shelling out my hard earned money for.

I know I'm asking a lot but can I get an unbiased opinion please?

Who else has made the change from PC to Mac? Does anyone regret it?

http://www.apple.com/au/imac/specs.html
Old 02-15-2010, 04:57 AM

Default Re: Thinking about changing sides... (PC to Mac)

Sorry, I should have said what I'm running (or will be) -

I have a Digi003 rack.

Currently running PT7.4LE but will upgrade to 8 when I upgrade my system.

I generally record multiple tracks at a time (up to 16 at times - big bands etc) using the 003 and a Behringer ADA8000.

I don't use a great deal of plug-ins but plan to start using them more.

I want to continue to push my system to it's limits.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:43 AM

While I'm on PTHD, I made the switch from Windows to Mac for several reasons....a few of them including that I was getting more and more into video (FinalCut) as well as more into Digital Performer and Logic so being in the Mac just made more sense. But another reason was I was just so dang sick of Windows and the issues that Windows seems to bring to the forefront. Will the iMac perform? Of course, absolutely...this is a professional caliber computer that is capable of working with high quality audio AND video. While iMac's have always been fine for home recording, I feel the new round of iMac's are now suitable for professional use. I have an 8-core MacPro that's running my PTHD system as well as Final Cut Pro, but sometimes I need to render video and don't wish to take up my PTHD sessions if I also need to work on some more audio. So for myself, I have plans to add the iMac w/the 27" display to dedicate to FinalCutHD (with a MOTU V4HD) at some point. Video is more demanding than audio, so I think that says a lot for that computer personally (I've configured several of that configuration for my own clients, as well as audio recording with what you're looking to do).

There are some drawbacks though such as no PCI slots, a single firewire bus (although there's plenty of thru-put), limited expansion, etc.... but it really is a very fine and powerful computer that "just works". As to track-count, the computer doesn't really have a direct impact on that---it's really up to your hard-drive and hey, I'm going to say my typical argument of buy Glyph---they just work. There are advantages to the tower machines, but you'll pay a lot more money. These iMac's are, for many that were considering the MacPRo but couldn't afford it, work out just as well in the end.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:55 AM

Thank you. You just sold me.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:11 AM

Don't expect to jump on to equivalent mac and expect the seas to part. If anything you notice going from a PC to a Mac a sense of sluggishness as far as the OS goes.

However, I find my macs to be so damn reliable and very little tips them up. No viruses to worry about and no registry to get screwed up and as Brad has said many of the big boys are no mac only so it's the way to go IMHO.

With so many configs and PC types out there it's tough ro run a fully supported system, with the macs you just wait for digi to approve the new models and your off. It's very much less time messing with drivers and hardware problems and more time doing what we're all here to do......be creative and make music.

Just my 2 pence.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:39 AM

We stare at our screens 8-14 hours a day maybe...we LIVE inside of that virtual OS world. Many of us care about our environment very much, and many don't. For people who do care, the OS has to be attractive, graceful and ergonomic, none of which are Microsoft OS attributes. Some people prefer an inexpensive, flexible and utilitarian Ford F150 pickup truck. Others prefer to travel with the handling, grace, beauty, comfort and ergonomics of a Mercedes sedan and don't mind sacrificing in other areas to pay for that privilege.