Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 07-11-2018, 07:51 PM

Default Neyrinck v-control-pro with procontrol

Anybody using neyrincks v-control-pro with their digidesign procontrol on pro tools 11, 12 or 2018 and if so how are you liking it? Anything you don't like about how it works?
Old 07-12-2018, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Neyrinck v-control-pro with procontrol

See my post in the Control|24 and ProControl with Pro Tools 11? thread: http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2...postcount=2190

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) 3.33 GHz 6-core - 48 GB RAM - macOS 13.6.2 (with OCLP 1.3) - Magma EB7 - PT HDX3 - Pro Tools Ultimate - Avid HD I/O 16x16 (x2) - Avid HD I/O 16x16 Digital - Digidesign 192 I/O - Digidesign 192D I/O (x3) - Avid SYNC HD - Apogee Big Ben - Apogee Rosetta 200 - Avid S3 - Slate RAVEN MTi2 (x2) - iConnectivity mioXL (x4) - Genelec ‘The Ones’ 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos Music monitoring (AES/EBU) with 8341A (x5) + 8331A (x10) + 7360A (x2) + 9301B - Almost all available AAX-DSP plug-ins
Old 08-19-2018, 10:22 AM

I'm using it with 2018.7 so far so good. I hope future rev will allow access to the matrix and plug ins. The transport seems a touch slow . i was using it with 10HD for tracking and the punch in/out was better. But now at least in can use the pro control :)
Old 08-19-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubxf View Post
I hope future rev will allow access to the matrix and plug ins.
Plug-in editing was originally implemented in the HUI protocol, so this should be possible at some point in time.

Access to the matrix however will never be possible because this was not originally implemented in the HUI protocol.

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) 3.33 GHz 6-core - 48 GB RAM - macOS 13.6.2 (with OCLP 1.3) - Magma EB7 - PT HDX3 - Pro Tools Ultimate - Avid HD I/O 16x16 (x2) - Avid HD I/O 16x16 Digital - Digidesign 192 I/O - Digidesign 192D I/O (x3) - Avid SYNC HD - Apogee Big Ben - Apogee Rosetta 200 - Avid S3 - Slate RAVEN MTi2 (x2) - iConnectivity mioXL (x4) - Genelec ‘The Ones’ 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos Music monitoring (AES/EBU) with 8341A (x5) + 8331A (x10) + 7360A (x2) + 9301B - Almost all available AAX-DSP plug-ins
Old 08-19-2018, 01:28 PM

Thanks Marc, i'm looking forward to the plug in support.
Are you also experiencing a slight delay at punch in or could it be i didn't set everything up properly (i.e. firmware on pro control ?)
Old 08-20-2018, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubxf View Post
Are you also experiencing a slight delay at punch in or could it be i didn't set everything up properly (i.e. firmware on pro control ?)
I did not notice a slight delay at punch, I'm guessing this is specific to your system or to the session that you are recording in (buffer sizes, ADC, number of tracks, etc.).

Also take into consideration that the HUI protocol is a MIDI protocol and not the original Ethernet protocol for ProControl. So there is some translation going on between low-level Ethernet commando's to V-Control Pro to MIDI to Pro Tools and back. So this could cause some slight delay, however I find using ProControl with V-Control Pro and Pro Tools very snappy.

I only have experiences with my 48 ch ProControl, they all have firmware COMv1.37 FDRv1.37. So if you are running an older firmware version in theory it could have something to do with the slight delay you are experiencing, but I doubt that really.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:46 AM

Thanks Marc. I'll check my firmware and do more tests to see if i can fix it.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:33 PM

same firmware, i tracked some vocals today and it was fine. Just punching in and out for a word in a fast song doesn't work as well because of the few ms lag.
It's great to be able to use the Pro control with the new PT though :)
Old 10-05-2018, 09:56 AM

I have implemented the HUI protocol with custom control surfaces over the years because I needed a way to work after the loss of the Pro Control.

I discovered a document many years ago that was basically a reverse engineering of the Mackie HUI. Over time I needed to add functions that HUI didn't provide, but keyboard shortcuts were a good alternative.

A program called Bome Midi Translator has really become a saving grace and I feel that V-Control Pro could really benefit from its coding. I have used it exclusively to assign all tactile switches and faders to the appropriate HUI midi messages. Because it supports midi-to-keystrokes also, a lot of the Pro Control buttons that are useless could be used again in some form, albeit not necessarily its original function.

Here is my question. If Pro Control is connected to Pro Tools with Neyrinck software, will the Pro Control transmit data even though it isn't assigned to a specific HUI function (i.e. - Windows switches or Shortcut switches)? I assume it wouldn't, as the Pro Control data output isn't MIDI. If Neyrinck could take Pro Control buttons that are useless with HUI and assign them to keystrokes, as Bome software can do, that has the potential to open the usefulness of the control surface a bit more. It would be nice if they could build this into V-Control Pro and not pass data through another wrapper (Bome) to achieve this task, maybe a future collaboration.

Just a thought.