Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 06-19-2018, 07:09 AM

Default Data Restoring from a formatted RAID-0 Drive

Hey all,

This is a storage question and I apologise if this might not be at the right side of the forum.

I was tired from long sessions, under-slept, scarred from battling with a tantrum-generating 2-year old and I goofed up like I haven't before:

I currently keep a backup drive of everything. I use both CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) and Chronosync (for different tasks). System drives, SFX drives, etc., all stored in a different drive. One kept at the home studio and one at the work studio.

I have two 8TB RAID-0 drives that contain(ed) all my music libraries, VI instruments data, NI Kontakt Libraries, loops, etc.
One of the RAID drives from the backup drive failed and I was trying to resurrect it.
I decided to format it, use Carbon Copy Cloner and make a new backup from scratch.
I had my main drive connected and in my tired state of being I formatted the main drive.
Know I am left with nada.
It goes without saying that I haven't used the drive for anything else and it right now sitting blank at its stage right after it was formatted.
It has also been formatted in an exFat.

And here are a couple of questions:

Do you guys know of any Data Recovery software that can "see" the folder structure in its original, pre-formatted state to restore it in it's entirety? I have tried a couple apps already and they seem to recognise the data but bring them back in folders arranged by data type with nondescript names.

The fact that is was formatted as exFat, does it meddle at all from the previous HFS+ Journaled stated?

I am a dubbing mixer & sound editor, so my bread and butter is not in music making. So, it is not something urgent. Still a massive loss.

If anyone knows something concrete please do share it with me.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:16 AM

Default Re: Data Restoring from a formatted RAID-0 Drive

I have recently made a similar boo-boo and after some trials and errors I have recovered about 95% of my lost data using EASEUS.
https://www.easeus.com/mac/mac-data-recovery/

- Mac Pro (Mid 2010) - OSX 10.13
- Pro Tools 2018.4
- Apogee Ensemble - Firewire
- Eleven Rack
Old 06-19-2018, 10:18 AM

I've seen that, and I have actually downloaded it and tried it.

I haven't done the full deep scan (ETA is 88hours on that) but from the quick test I did it does not bring up the initial HFS+ folder structure. It organises the retrieved files by filetype, putting nondescript names.

Could you please confirm if EASUS can restore the deleted folder and all included files within?

Regardless, thanks for the recommendation.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:58 AM

it does show folders...
there are multiple views
on the first tab it shows the disk structure with folders, etc.
that's how i recovered my files
my mistake was that i did not realize i deleted a folder until about a week later and some of the files were already corrupted
that's why i said i was able to recover about 95% of my files

- Mac Pro (Mid 2010) - OSX 10.13
- Pro Tools 2018.4
- Apogee Ensemble - Firewire
- Eleven Rack
Old 09-14-2018, 11:32 AM

Is there a Windows equivalent to that software? I recently had a recording drive go off the reservation and I lost every file from a certain time window(of several days). I'd love to recover some or any of it

OOPS! a quick google search turns up a windows version from the same company....nothing more to see here.....move along.....

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave