Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > Employment

Old 04-24-2018, 12:58 AM

Default Career Question

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this... I am a Music Production major, but am finding it hard to pass upper level music history classes and composition classes required by the National Association of Schools of Music (according to my university). I have good internships on my resume, and a lot of reference material, related courses and experience in real world applications and with lots of gear. Is switching to a general studies degree in order to save money and lots of stress going to ultimately shoot myself in the foot trying to get a good job down the road?
Old 06-11-2018, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Career Question

Just my opinion....I would think not*. At the end of the day, its what you demonstrate(having a good demonstration/example of your work will carry more weight than a piece of paper). Having hired a Full Sail graduate and a complete audio newbie(around the same time), the newbie was mixing "name artist" shows within a year, while the FS grad was relegated to working a small lounge.

*Having said that, if you DON'T have any musical skill/knowledge, there are certain things a music engineer really should know(such as basic harmony theory, chord structure, song structure, the basics of Nashville Numbers....basic knowledge makes it much easier to communicate with musicians). I you are moderately proficient on some instrument, you likely have that covered

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-12-2018, 05:17 PM

From my experience, the degree you have will not matter unless you want to teach at a college. The most significant thing you can do for your career is relocate to a city where there is paying work in the field you are interested in and talk to as many people as you can. Make sure they know your skills and this networking will get you paying work.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 07-05-2018, 08:45 AM

Thank you for the advice!