Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-21-2001, 07:30 PM

Default MOTU Serial, OMS, At end of Rope!

I cant get PT 5.1.1 to chase my SMPTE signal! No matter what configurations with OMS setup, or Freemidi, etc...no luck. Heres the equipment:

Video deck-->MOTU Microexpress (serial output)(set in Direct Mode)

MOTU-Stealth GeeThree in Mac G4 733.

OMS 2.3.8, FreeMidi 1.4, and MOTU MTP Console Installed, in that order

Running OS 9.2 1.28 GB RAM

OMS does see the serial port....and I have to manually specify what kind of Device, Manufacturer, etc. I am at wits end...please help! What settings in each Program...?
.: michaelkammes.com
.: lucidsound.com
Old 09-21-2001, 07:34 PM

Default Re: MOTU Serial, OMS, At end of Rope!

BTW, Feel free to contact me on AOL as AVGuru3 and on yahoo as AVGuru1...thanks!
Old 09-24-2001, 05:45 AM
Avid

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Heres the equipment:
Video deck-->MOTU Microexpress (serial output)(set in Direct Mode)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-I think this setting may be the problem. Switch to the first factory preset (the left-most LED on the front of the MicroExpress) and try again.

If problems persist, is the MicroExpress recognized by OMS?

Brent
Old 09-24-2001, 06:24 AM

Thanks for the reply! Ive tried having the MOTU piece in all different modes, no luck! I have found that I can send commands to the piece..I believe MTP console (or is it OMS)has a test function, and this causes all the lights on the MOTU piece to light up.

OMS recognizes there being a device there on
the modem port (Gee Three port) but doesnt recognize the specific device. I get the Keyboard with a question mark on it. I can manually configure it by manufacturer, etc (ive tried both as a video timepiece as well as "other" and then I select time clock, etc. No luck! Ill be calling digi support later on tonight, but I still cant figure out what to do!
Old 09-25-2001, 06:26 AM
Avid

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>OMS recognizes there being a device there on the modem port (Gee Three port) but doesnt recognize the specific device. I get the Keyboard with a question mark on it...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-This is normal behavior for OMS. The question is...does OMS recognize your interface as a MOTU MicroExpress or as a Standard MIDI Interface? If the latter, then OMS is not communicating properly with the interface.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>I can manually configure it by manufacturer, etc...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Don't be confused by the device icons...Yes, you have to configure all your MIDI devices manually in OMS (I have never seen the "Auto Detect" feature ever work properly).

Brent
Old 09-25-2001, 06:38 AM

Turns out phone tech support was able to help: Here's what had to be done:

First off, the Micro Express had to be reset...this is done by holding the panic butto down, and power cycling the device, when it powers back up, OMS found it and installed the driver.

(BTW, be sure and install OMS, then free midi, and when you run free midid, tell it to operate in OMS compatibility mode)

Then , you have to specify that a video device is attached to the midi time piece, specify the port, etc.

In PT, specify what midi input you are using, port, as well as what device you are recieving time from, your midi time piece or video deck.

*whew*

Its all good now. Thansk to Jordan at tech support!

~Michael