Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2002, 05:43 PM

Default 2 sets of monitor speakers question

I have 2 sets of speakers and am wondering if there is some kind of speaker switcher i can buy to be able to switch between them? Does anyone else run more than one pair? There has to be a way to have a switcher between the amp and the two sets of speakers. This is driving me nuts cause I can't find anything.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:37 PM

Default Re: 2 sets of monitor speakers question

Consult your local Radio Shack dealer. They got all sort of "speaker" selection devices.

If your trying to switch the audio source connections going into multiple amplifiers that would require some other solution. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2002, 06:45 PM

You can build your own for short money if you're at all good with a soldering iron. If you need aome creative input e-mail me and I'll send you a simple drawing.

Any studio worth it's merit has at least two sets of monitors. We run Yamaha NS-10, Genelec 1030a, Roland MA-8, plus have feeds to the lounge (KLH w/sub) and a Sony boom box.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:27 PM

I run my Event 20/20 bas out of the monitor outs of the 001..I then use the secondary moniter outs (1/4 inch outputs on the back panel channel 1&2) and run that to a dual channel switch I bought at Fry's for like $15.00 bucks.

1 side goes to a consumer stereo unit so I can hear my mixes immediatly on a boofed up typical home stereo, the other side goes to a small pair of powered computer speakers for that small source mixing (great for hearing where and if the vocals are too loud)

works great! good luck
Old 12-12-2002, 01:10 AM

I tried the Radio Shack method and when I went there and explained what I was looking for the guy just stared at me blankly like I had just asked him to build me a rocket to fly around the moon. I looked through their catalog but couldn't seem to find anything that had 1/4 inch connections. I guess I could use a patchbay, although I hate to rack up a patchbay just to be able to switch over. Even then I would have to switch a cable rather be able to actually "switch". I guess thats still better than switching cables off the 001 in the back of the rack it is in.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:52 AM

Actually, I think the salespeople at Radioshack are from the moon, as they seem to know nothing about life on earth, let alone electronics.There are dozens of configurations and it really depends on what equipment you have. Sounds like you don't have powered speakers and are running a power amp with only 2 speaker outputs(L & R) Try the Good Guys near you, they may still carry the Niles speaker switcher which came in 2 models both allowing several sets. This has been a standard in high-end audio for years.Otherwise try a high-end audio store. I would absolutely recommend more than one set of speakers-one of which should be BIG and the best quality you can afford. I'm not a fan of near-field-only mixing. I use no less than three different pairs in my set-up and have another 2 pair on a separate high-end system in the house.Plus the boombox and the car. I use an older integrated amp which has 2 switchable speaker outputs plus muting for headphones only. I also split the pre-outs and run into a Hafler power amp which runs my near-fields. These are controlled just by switching the Hafler on and off.(and muting the others)
80 G Seagate internal HD
60 G IBM Deskstar internal HD
40 G Buslink (Seagate)FW ext.HD
Old 12-12-2002, 10:48 AM

I have checked the web sites of some high end audio places only to find that the switchers these places carry don't use 1/4 inch jacks. I think I'm just gonna go the "patchbay" method. I just can't beleive that there is not a standard switcher that people use. It seems to me like it would be a thing everyone would use. I am the only guy that uses 2 sets of speakers! Christ!
Old 12-12-2002, 10:59 AM

I run 2 sets of monitors on my system, but my amplifier has selector switches for speakers A and B. With this amp you can run A,B, or both sets together provided you have enough power for both sets at once. I run a pair of Alesis Monitor ones on switch A and a Pair of JBL control 1 Plus on switch B. Both A and B are stereo and I only have to use the monitor outputs as my input signal. no auxes or anything like that. I don't imagine this is an uncommon feature, but apparently it is if you're having such a hard time. The amplifier i have is a Gemini P-600 Stereo Power Amplifier. This amp is typically a DJ amp, but i like it because it has decent power and a quiet fan. Also it has balanced/unbalanced 1'4" inputs or RCA inputs on the back Hope this helped
Old 12-12-2002, 11:04 AM

What kind of amp is this?
Old 12-12-2002, 11:06 AM

I just edited my post