Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2023, 03:08 PM

Default Sketch has note names in it's MIDI Editor, but Pro Tools still doesn't.

So... watching some YouTube videos to try and wrap my brain around Sketch, since I've been paying for its development, regardless.

Apparently, Sketch's MIDI Editor displays note names. Been asking for that in Pro Tools for years now. I reckon I'll be looking forward to the next version of Pro Tools then, since now Avid has shown that it is a feature that they can implement.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 10-02-2023, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Sketch has note names in it's MIDI Editor, but Pro Tools still doesn't.

Me too.
Old 10-02-2023, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Sketch has note names in it's MIDI Editor, but Pro Tools still doesn't.

Oy I want user key labels for drum VIs. Expect a tantrum if PT gets fixed note labels only

I hope Sketch might be a playground for Avid to try out new UI ideas and if they work move stuff over to PT. May be some safety there of not breaking stuff in PT.
Old 10-02-2023, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Oy I want user key labels for drum VIs. Expect a tantrum if PT gets fixed note labels only

I hope Sketch might be a playground for Avid to try out new UI ideas and if they work move stuff over to PT. May be some safety there of not breaking stuff in PT.

Kinda the problem there would be that C1 is always “C”(fixed), but could be assigned to all kinds of things if drums (dynamic or requiring input).

I wonder about Sketch. I hate to speculate, but it feels like there are newer devs running the team who are more comfortable with the Sketch/Clip paradigm because it’s more modern/familiar to them, and they can’t unpack the code from PT 8 when MIDI and the Event Operations became what they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 10-05-2023, 02:26 PM

A colleague (who uses Pro Tools, Ableton, & Logic) called me today after trying Sketch for the first time yesterday.
He said it's like something designed by Fisher-Price.
I hadn't been able to stop laughing until I thought about my annual support renewal fee of $400 that is due in December.
Old 10-07-2023, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
Apparently, Sketch's MIDI Editor displays note names. Been asking for that in Pro Tools for years now. I reckon I'll be looking forward to the next version of Pro Tools then, since now Avid has shown that it is a feature that they can implement.
I remember when Studio One Artist 5 started support for 3rd party VST's.
Upgraded from the free bundled version for just $39 during Nov/Dec pricing. A lot of serious features for that price for Both MIDI & Audio.
I had purchased it for MIDI about a year before we started receiving some notable fixes in PT 2022.

I like the MIDI note names feature and it looks really nice in Studio One's dark mode.
You can vertically zoom notes to a size larger than in PT as well.

I'm mainly use PT now that things are getting better in the MIDI dept.
But it's amazing what kind of features I was able to get for $39 as opposed to say, $399.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 10-07-2023 at 05:36 PM.