Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2012, 06:36 PM

Default cant make the jump to HDX because Avid's policy

so , i set my mind- I really wanna get the HDX to replace my HD 3 accel system , but i can't , why is that ? because i have an 3.1 Mac pro and not a 4.1 mac pro .....how lame is that???? what is the F*&^%^& big idea about not approving and testing this model....i have a way to pull some money for HD accel 3 - to HDX exchange , but really not enough to spend 2500$ on a new mac pro - that does not even have thunderbolt port - or a usb 3.....
i have a perfectly good computer - that serves me great for the past 3.5 years , Protools HD 3 accel however is starting to show some sighs of fatigue...
i am so disappointed with AVID - not finding a way to make it work on a perfectly good computer - its not like i am asking them to make it work on a G5 or a Beige G3....this is a Quad core machine that i bought for 3000$....
AVID this is really rude/lame/ and above all disappointing.....i really wanna get the HDX...but since i cant afford investing in PT and A new MAC....i'll have to pass ......in my point of view this sucks.....stupid decisions....stupid polices....
Avid Omni HD
MacPro 2.4 Xeon 8 core 24Giga
UAD-2 And most of the UAD plugins
All AAX DSP and Native Plugins (all most)
Tons of Hardware...:)
Old 10-04-2012, 06:54 PM

Default Re: cant make the jump to HDX because Avid's policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilulilu888 View Post
so , i set my mind- I really wanna get the HDX to replace my HD 3 accel system , but i can't , why is that ? because i have an 3.1 Mac pro and not a 4.1 mac pro .....how lame is that???? what is the F*&^%^& big idea about not approving and testing this model....i have a way to pull some money for HD accel 3 - to HDX exchange , but really not enough to spend 2500$ on a new mac pro - that does not even have thunderbolt port - or a usb 3.....
i have a perfectly good computer - that serves me great for the past 3.5 years , Protools HD 3 accel however is starting to show some sighs of fatigue...
i am so disappointed with AVID - not finding a way to make it work on a perfectly good computer - its not like i am asking them to make it work on a G5 or a Beige G3....this is a Quad core machine that i bought for 3000$....
AVID this is really rude/lame/ and above all disappointing.....i really wanna get the HDX...but since i cant afford investing in PT and A new MAC....i'll have to pass ......in my point of view this sucks.....stupid decisions....stupid polices....
There comes a point where a line has to be drawn on to how many things well be taking into account when building a new dsp system. With the amount of computer system out there today, Avid simply can't test all and make sure that their hardware will work with 100% of what's out there, even if it's only 4 years old. There might also be a technical snaffu with the 3.1 macs that would simply nt work properly with the HDX / HDN cards in the long runs when pro tools goes to full 64 bit.

I'd go around and asking why is that, instead of going on my high horse and acting like a cry baby on something that might have some very legitimate reasons for not supporting a 4 years old tech.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-04-2012, 07:26 PM

1.1 - 3.1 machines had problems (firmware wiped, and would not upload, requiring the card be sent in to be re-flashed) updating the firmware on the HDX cards in the pre-release testing that is why your 3.1 is not approved or that was Avid's position last year when the announcement was made.

Some have put HDX cards in there 3.1s w/o any problems, some have had extremely long wait times for the firmware to load. I have not heard of anybody having complete failure but that doesn't mean it hasn't happend.

I'm sure it could be fixed with a EFI update but, I don't think one is coming from Apple

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-04-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
1.1 - 3.1 machines had problems (firmware wiped, and would not upload, requiring the card be sent in to be re-flashed) updating the firmware on the HDX cards in the pre-release testing that is why your 3.1 is not approved or that was Avid's position last year when the announcement was made.

Some have put HDX cards in there 3.1s w/o any problems, some have had extremely long wait times for the firmware to load. I have not heard of anybody having complete failure but that doesn't mean it hasn't happend.

I'm sure it could be fixed with a EFI update but, I don't think one is coming from Apple
I heard the 3,1 specifically has problems with more than one HDX card as well.

The misconception is that the 3,1 isn't approved because it wasn't tested. It was tested, and not approved because there are problems.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515