Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 04:20 PM

Default Re: PT 9.01 Update IS OUT... and the freakin 003 console freeze issue is STILL NOT FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcat View Post
Hey Otobot, I agree, but since I've nothing better to do (well, nothing that pays anyway), I'm going to do the whole windows reinstall, update, PT reinstall, etc. procedure. Since I now have a very good set of benchmarks, I can do a really meticulous comparison between what I have now, and what I will have afterward. The Dell has almost nothing on it besides Windows and Pro Tools, so I've nothing to lose.
Ok, I guess it's worth a try. Especially if there's not much to lose in form of a highly customized and tweaked system with many libraries, etc..
Please report back how it went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Thank you for the reports and additional info!
Hi DTS, how's the repro case going and is there maybe any timeline for the fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkio99 View Post
hey guys, worked a bit on a project with a more tracks (15), with a few plugins (digidesign and UAD), CPU around 50%.

And the freeze is back

As the others reported, if I close protools after the freeze, when I open other windows or control panels the 003 lcd screen displays for 3-4 secs the tracks that it was displaying at the time it froze.

How upside down is that?
Sorry to hear that, but that confirms my suspicion that a reinstall of the system won't fix a spontaneous driver.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:50 PM

Default Re: PT 9.01 Update IS OUT... and the freakin 003 console freeze issue is STILL NOT FI

My 003 stopped freezing for awhile now. Mainly because I was using the same couple of projects.

Then I opened up an older project, don't know when I did it but it would have been an early PT8. It loaded to the point where it was probably checking the IO setup (remember it changed the order of inputs etc ) and then it BSOD'd.

Since then I had a Mr Freezy.

Q: Does anybody get the freeze and HASN'T got any out board MIDI gear?

The reason I ask is that I beleive this thing is MIDI related.

I am running a UM880 and MOTU 128 plus 1 port on the 003. So thats a total of 17 MIDI ports (some with multi channels) There is a lot of outboard MIDI gear.
Yesterday I was doing something on an Alesis DMPro drum machine changing and saving things and it suddenly locked up. Checked the 003 and it was frozen too. Chicken or egg? Will investigate further.
ASUS P5E Q6600 6GB

Eleven Rack + EXRP
Old 01-14-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermak View Post

In the beginning of the freeze issue I had an A33 controller keyboard connected. However, I disconnected it a couple of weeks ago, and did some fresh installs afterwards, and mr. freeze would still be there. So I doubt if it would be midi-related.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:56 PM

I almost never use midi but I still have the freeze issue.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:08 PM

Nah, whether the freeze happens or not is not dependant on if any Midi hardware is connected or not.. it's probably more dependant on cosmic occurences or something

But I guess the freeze could cause some weird Midi events to be sent off the 003's MIDI outs... that could be an explanation why your DMPro locked up... dunno.. anybody else had some external Midi gear do weird things during a freeze?
Old 01-14-2011, 06:46 PM

Does anyone have a separate OS partition for pt8.03 and a separate OS partition for 8.0.4/9 as I have?
If so, is he/she experiencing the fact that after running 8.0.4/9 and rebooting to 8.0.3 partition, digi003 is not recognized and he/she has to re-install 8.0.3?

Because to me that seems to point to some kind of settings/prefs (maybe inside 003 console) rather than something that stays within the OS/drivers/pt.

I'm getting the impression some kind of settings inside 003 change because of pt8.0.4/9 (drivers?), that only get reset by re-installing drivers.

Am I making sense?
Old 01-14-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoerik View Post
Does anyone have a separate OS partition for pt8.03 and a separate OS partition for 8.0.4/9 as I have?
If so, is he/she experiencing the fact that after running 8.0.4/9 and rebooting to 8.0.3 partition, digi003 is not recognized and he/she has to re-install 8.0.3?

Because to me that seems to point to some kind of settings/prefs (maybe inside 003 console) rather than something that stays within the OS/drivers/pt.

I'm getting the impression some kind of settings inside 003 change because of pt8.0.4/9 (drivers?), that only get reset by re-installing drivers.

Am I making sense?
maybe avid support could try this on their repro case. If they would come to the same findings I have come to, they might wanna try the following:
- run pt9 until freeze happens
- connect the 003 to a different computer running 8.0.3
if the same thing still happens, that would be a definite proof it's happening inside the 003. If not, as far as I can see, no conclusions can be drawn.

just a suggestion of course...
Old 01-14-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoerik View Post
maybe avid support could try this on their repro case. If they would come to the same findings I have come to, they might wanna try the following:
- run pt9 until freeze happens
- connect the 003 to a different computer running 8.0.3
if the same thing still happens, that would be a definite proof it's happening inside the 003. If not, as far as I can see, no conclusions can be drawn.

just a suggestion of course...

...or maybe they might try it the other way 'round, as that might save some time installing the 2nd OS partition, and the second part of the test would only take a couple of minutes?
Old 01-15-2011, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermak View Post
I don't use midi at all, and I have the freezes
Old 01-15-2011, 03:50 AM

Would like to point out that the 003's screen goes blank for 3-4 secs when clicking on things (folders, controlk panel etc) EVEN BEFORE it has frozen.

You can switch the computer and 003 on, and before even starting protools try to click on different things, and the lcd screen will blank for a few secs.

You know what? This is TOTALLY RIDICOLOUS. I am sure each one of us is spending 10 times more on this than DTS is.

Someone said we are beta testers. I disagree, it is worse than that: beta testers just use it and report faults, we are suppose to fix them as well....

SHAME ON YOU AVID, SHAME ON YOU
Closed Thread