Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2009, 04:06 AM

Default Re: SC48 how much dsp is in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpolice View Post
Ooops. My bad. Next time i'll not guess. Sorry for that.

No, you were right the first time. SC48 can run a maximum of 20 plugins, maybe less if they are DSP intensive plugins.

Mixrack runs up to 100, again depending on available DSP and the DSP requirements of the plugins used.

Regards

Roland
Old 05-24-2009, 06:11 AM

Sheldon,

I saw the Venue first time in Frankfurt messe, and it came to me (a Pro Tools user) as a complete surprise, that you cannot disable channel processing to free up DSP to use your favorite channel processing instead. Whats up with that? May I ask why did you decide to hardwire the built-in channel processing? I think it's not a very big deal on large Venue systems and probably it's ok with most SC48 users as well, just inetersting on my part as I assumed it to be self-evident that dsp could be freed like that.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:09 PM
Avid

Hi,
Quote:
May I ask why did you decide to hardwire the built-in channel processing?
Great question. It has a lot to do with how DSP programming works. Creating discrete channel strips with all of the processing "hard-wired" in place, and then grouping these channels together on a single DSP allows for a more efficient use of processing cycles than a more open, flexible arrangement. So even though it would seem like being able to disable the built in channel processing would free up DSP, it could actually make for a less efficient use of DSP. Also, the fixed mixer topolgy is more predictable for users and reduces the number of possible test cases.

Sheldon
Old 05-25-2009, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Radford View Post
Hi,
Great question. It has a lot to do with how DSP programming works. Creating discrete channel strips with all of the processing "hard-wired" in place, and then grouping these channels together on a single DSP allows for a more efficient use of processing cycles than a more open, flexible arrangement. So even though it would seem like being able to disable the built in channel processing would free up DSP, it could actually make for a less efficient use of DSP. Also, the fixed mixer topolgy is more predictable for users and reduces the number of possible test cases.

Sheldon
Thank you Sheldon, this makes sense. Do you think it might be an option in the future that one could select to use differet EQ as a channel strip EQ? What I mean is that when you select your system configuration there would be an option "use EQ III" as an channel EQ. I understand it would eat up more DSP. What I personally miss is a HPF and LPF with selectable slopes.

thanks,

Kristo
Old 05-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Avid

Hi Kristo,
Quote:
Do you think it might be an option in the future that one could select to use differet EQ as a channel strip EQ?
This would be pretty cool, but there are no plans to offer such an option as there aren't many DSP cycles left to spare on the input DSP chips - we've managed to fill them all up! (Each DSP handles eight full input channels).

Sheldon
Old 05-26-2009, 02:30 AM

I have a Mix Rack system with 3 DSP and i was finding that sometimes i was running out of DSP for plugins. if you want to use a lot of plugins on the SC48, you will have to make sure you are smart about using ones that are DSP-lite. some great examples of this are the Massey plugins (which, are amazing and unbelievably cheap. arguably hands down the best value TDM plugins money can buy!) and the URS API and Neve emulations. the URS ones are some of my favorites because they are very high quality, DSP lite, and have nice simple GUIs.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:54 PM

Sheldon, I would like to kindly ask you to contact me off the board, if it's ok, please send me an email, I have contacts in my profile. thanks!
Old 06-06-2009, 10:54 PM

Hi Sheldon,

Regarding the SC48 plug-ins. Can I install additional plug-ins to the console or am I limited to use only the factory installed plug-ins?
Old 06-08-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eytan View Post
Hi Sheldon,

Regarding the SC48 plug-ins. Can I install additional plug-ins to the console or am I limited to use only the factory installed plug-ins?
I just received a "Waves Live Wire" which mentions a Waves bundle with the SC48, so that answers my question.