Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 04-14-2021, 05:36 AM

Default "Unable to find an Audio Interface..." - fine after computer restart.

Apologies for the lack of detail here. I helped move a studio across from using Focusrite converters to Avid ones. Everything working fine, but after powering down and then restarting the next day, the first launch of Pro Tools gives the "Unable to find an Audio Interface on first HDX card" error. Restart the computer and boot Pro Tools again, and it works fine.

The HDX card is in a Thunderbolt 3 chassis, and the converters are 2x HD IO and a 8x8x8. Loop sync is setup correctly, and all the cables have been reseated.

Anyone seen this before? I know it's not fatal, but I'm just trying to make it as smooth as possible and hopefully minimise frantic support calls to myself

I'm waiting for details from the studio about chassis model, PT version etc. I'm pretty sure PT is 2020 but not the latest update.

Thanks all
Old 04-14-2021, 11:19 AM

Default Re: "Unable to find an Audio Interface..." - fine after computer restart.

Review your order(and timing) of system power-up. Sounds like the computer is finishing its boot sequence before the TB chassis is on-line

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-14-2021, 12:23 PM

Default Re: "Unable to find an Audio Interface..." - fine after computer restart.

Yeah this was my first thought. Owner is insistent that converters are powered up and synced and he's starting PT after the system has been on for a few minutes. Weird
Old 04-14-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Chapman View Post
Yeah this was my first thought. Owner is insistent that converters are powered up and synced and he's starting PT after the system has been on for a few minutes. Weird
I'm actually talking about the OS, not Pro Tools. If the OS is fully booted before the chassis is on-line, then the OS may not be "seeing" the chassis(so PT will also not see it). I suggest trying turning the chassis on a good 10-15 seconds before starting the computer

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-14-2021, 04:42 PM

I'm working on the assumption this isn't the case, as we never had this issue when using the same chassis, card and computer with the Focusrite converters. Also, the error message suggests that Tools has detected the HDX card, but for whatever reason can't detect the first converter. It really is a head scratcher. Hopefully I'll be able to get there soon to check in person.