Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 11-12-2018, 03:42 PM

Default Offline commit/bounce paranoia

Does anyone else suffer from this? Don't get me wrong, I use the offline bounce and offline track commit all the time, but whenever I print my finals I'm always doing it in real time.

I've done my own null testing and found that the only discrepancy between any bounced or committed file is that of randomness introduced by either a plugin or sample round robin. In those instances the result will always be different regardless of whether offline or real time was used.

Every other instance where this randomness wasn't produced I can find no difference between offline and real time.

This of course leads me to believe my paranoia is unjustified.

Has anyone had any results where offline bounce/commit doesn't produce good results?
Old 11-12-2018, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Offline commit/bounce paranoia

No. I use it all the time. It's a God send when doing live performances of symphonies and operas. Not having to sit and wait for 2 or 3 hours to bounce a performance is a HUGE time saver. I use it all the time and have had no problems. No complaints form the radio stations that have been broadcasting my mixes.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 11-12-2018, 07:44 PM

Probably 90% of my bounces are done off-line. The only thing I recommend is; listen to the bounce before passing it on to the client(at least the intro, a few random spots and the end) so you don't embarrass yourself

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-12-2018, 08:44 PM

If the bounce is off, I've traced the problem to plugins 99.99% of the time.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
If the bounce is off, I've traced the problem to plugins 99.99% of the time.
That's interesting. For me, its always some weird routing issue(like having some track's output feeding a bus named "Main Out" instead of the actual output with the same name. When you listen, you hear everything, but the bounce is minus whatever was sent to that bus(never figured out how this happened, but had it hit me a couple of times)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-13-2018, 01:13 PM

Yeah, pretty much always a plugin that causes a problem for me too. That's another thing I'm paranoid about, what if the plugin is only used on a track part way in to the song?
Old 11-13-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
That's interesting. For me, its always some weird routing issue(like having some track's output feeding a bus named "Main Out" instead of the actual output with the same name. When you listen, you hear everything, but the bounce is minus whatever was sent to that bus(never figured out how this happened, but had it hit me a couple of times)
Same here. All my bounces are offline, and the only problems I've ever had with them were because I had something routed wrong.
Custom i9-12900K, 64GB RAM, W10 Pro, PT Ultimate 2024.03, HD Native, OMNI, Digi 192, UAD-2 Octo; Mac Pro 12-core 3.46, 64GB RAM, Mojave, Logic Pro 10.5.1, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Quad, MOTU 2408 Mk II: MBP mid-2012, 16GB RAM, Mojave, MOTU 8-Pre-ES, Pro Tools 2021.7