Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 03-23-2018, 05:16 AM

Default Re: Control|24 and ProControl with Pro Tools 11?

This is great news !! Signed up !!

https://neyrinck.com/v-control-pro/l...face-research/

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 03-23-2018, 08:25 AM

I agree with you, Marc. Bricking our Controllers was unconscionable. However, I am old school and like having actual faders. I'm also semi-retired and don't work as much as I used to, so having my Control 24 working with recent versions of PT would be a great solution for me.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtarbutn View Post
so having my Control 24 working with recent versions of PT would be a great solution for me.
Yeah and the nice thing about the Pro Control it will work with Non-HD software.

That and the faders are amazing.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Yeah and the nice thing about the Pro Control it will work with Non-HD software.

That and the faders are amazing.
For the record: it was always possible to use a ProControl/Control|24 with non-HD software (up to PT10). You just needed to copy the driver file.

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) 3.33 GHz 6-core - 48 GB RAM - macOS 13.6.2 (with OCLP 1.3) - Magma EB7 - PT HDX3 - Pro Tools Ultimate - Avid HD I/O 16x16 (x2) - Avid HD I/O 16x16 Digital - Digidesign 192 I/O - Digidesign 192D I/O (x3) - Avid SYNC HD - Apogee Big Ben - Apogee Rosetta 200 - Avid S3 - Slate RAVEN MTi2 (x2) - iConnectivity mioXL (x4) - Genelec ‘The Ones’ 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos Music monitoring (AES/EBU) with 8341A (x5) + 8331A (x10) + 7360A (x2) + 9301B - Almost all available AAX-DSP plug-ins
Old 03-27-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thornton View Post
Hi folks, Paul from Neyrinck has been in touch with us at Pro Tools Expert to say he is undertaking some R&D looking at possible new features for V-Control Pro that would provide support for these legacy ethernet control surfaces with Pro Tools 11 and above as well as other DAWs.

Would you be interested in V-Control Pro offering legacy control surface support? The plan would be to start with the Digidesign Control 24 and Digidesign Pro Control to make them work with Pro Tools 11, Pro Tools 12 and Pro Tools 2018, Logic Pro X, Cubase, and Nuendo.

If so, read our article and watch a video from Neyrinck that shows the work in progress with both a Pro Control and a Control 24. Paul has created a survey and a sign up where you can help Paul's research answering a few questions and be entered into a draw for a chance to get V-Control Pro free for one year.

Things may finally be getting somewhere...

Thanks,

Mike
This is very cool.
All you Pro Control and Control|24 owners sign up. Go Neyrinck!
Old 03-27-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
This is very cool.
All you Pro Control and Control|24 owners sign up. Go Neyrinck!

Anyone selling a Control 24??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2018, 02:33 PM

I am jumping up and down excitedly... I hope they don't forget the Pro Control Edit Pack as well.

But so sad that Avid didn't care to sort this out themselves.

GearGuy
Old 03-30-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGuy View Post
But so sad that Avid didn't care to sort this out themselves.
Exactly. I have to give serious props to Paul Neyrinck. I cannot even imagine the hoops he's had to jump thru to make this possible - and I am guessing without any help from Avid.

It just shows that it has been possible all this time for Avid, and with all their technical behind-the-scenes data - would probably have been a breeze. Instead a 3rd-party developer has been tearing his hair out to help us all make our desires comes true.

Thank You Paul !
Old 04-26-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Music Belgium View Post
This is earth-shattering news indeed.

I completed the survey and I proposed to do beta testing with my 48 ch. ProControl.

But I can't stop thinking maybe it is just too late, this needed to happen a few years ago.

As a matter of fact, 2 days ago I ordered a Raven Core Station with 2 x Raven MTi2 to replace my ProControl. I will not cancel this order because I want to check out the MTI2's and its functionality. I strongly feel this is the future but I need personal confirmation first.

This news did not change my plans, the only result is I will wait and see what happens. I was planning to sell/dump all my ProControl hardware (1 Main unit + 5 Fader packs + 1 x spare Main unit + 1 x spare Fader pack), this is on hold for now.

Note: of course AVID would have hoped I would have bought an S3 or S6 now, but that will never happen. I will never forgive them to deliberately have EOL'ed the ProControl (and Control|24).

Personally I still prefer ICON/D-Command over the new S6, it's extremely good, vastly more integrated than other controllers (even over S6 if we're looking at physically rather than relying on touch screen centre section and shifting context of tons of knobs...) also space wise, D-Command has 'proper' analog console style spacing (fader space, metering up where it should be not between faders, tons of surface space for those dedicated compressor/eq sections and is very rapid to work on as you can mix with it with the monitor off... no need for mouse at all). C24 is a step down from that obviously, a bit more basic, but still, imo, preferable to touch screens.

The faders on D-Command are of course higher quality than both Control 24 and C24 (side floating style not fader on top of track style), and D-Control has even more expensive P&G faders. Personally, it's the way the entire D-Command works that sells it for me (over touch screens and lesser controllers), dedicated 'always the same' sections for your most used eqs/comps + the flexibility of custom faders, VCA spilling, Vitural verb Lark setups, all the operations and automation depth you could ask for and the ability to do preview (practice runs)... C24 has some of that but not all, and other controllers are woeful. Touch screens aren't really replacing much but just adding more eye -clutter, I hate the way those Ravens look (angle, size and all the icon clutter along the bottom). Eyes are even more important than hands, so if you think RSI is bad wait for the eye strain. C24/Icon has neither of those issues!

I can't abide touch screens for mixing, you get no muscle memory, you can't 'feel' the music, you must use eyes still to see where you're putting your fingers, you don't know when controls have reached their limits and above all the raven etc only address one small aspect of why mouse mixing is a pain, and replace it with even more 'eye' based problems.

The only true way imo is fully hands on, physical controls that are advanced enough to replace the mouse/keyboard/screen entirely. While the older control 24 isn't exactly that (esp vs the much more advanced ICON series) it at least works in tandem with mouse/keyboard better to bring you a bit of what each does well without the 'gimmick' of touch screen which is good for just one aspect (and even then must rely on sight still).

I mean, it's your cash obviously but.. for me.. no, just no. Slate can do one with his over-hyped marketing, touchscreen and stupid virtual rack (which is awful to use in pro tools esp with real controllers).

Anyway good news about Control 24 it seems! I had my eye on that for years but after demoing an ICON I just had to have that, but I'd not turn my nose up at a C24 for more basic faders/some plug in editing.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:15 AM

This thread has now exceeded over 1,000,000 views.
(see "Views" column - http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)

P.S. I can only find one thread on the entire DUC with more views than this.
Does anyone at Avid understand the significance of this fact ? . . . anyone ?

Last edited by Tweakhead; 06-01-2018 at 01:21 PM. Reason: added info.