Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 03-20-2017, 11:57 AM

Default Re: So, latency on HD Native vs HDX?

As you said, "most". That isn't to say that a real-world session wouldn't use the tricks that fall outside your "most" definition. And if it does, that is the reality.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
No, it's double the latency of HDN if you're only using native plugins. Unusable.
So confused. On hdx If I only use native plugins they get disabled on record input so there isn't latency at all. Or is there?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 12:04 PM

Default So, latency on HD Native vs HDX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
As you said, "most". That isn't to say that a real-world session wouldn't use the tricks that fall outside your "most" definition. And if it does, that is the reality.

I have no idea what you are saying. I have run real world sessions day in and day out for 10 years on TDM. The only time I have had latency troubles is when I hadn't realized (user error) that I was using a native plugin between two TDM plugins or something similar. i'm talking about sessions that are nearly maxing out an HD4 system with Waves plugins (tracking for a final product, in other words). Always less than 20 samples latency at 44.1, and very little care is needed to achieve that.

Can you paint a picture of the scenario and "tricks" (that somehow seem to make everything worse) you're talking about?
Old 03-20-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
So confused. On hdx If I only use native plugins they get disabled on record input so there isn't latency at all. Or is there?

The minimum buffer with HDX is twice the minimum buffer of HDN.

You would place an AAX DSP plugin after the native plugin to track with/through native.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
That's their excuse, not the real reason. How come other vendors have seen benefits in moving from TDM to HDX but suddenly Waves is incompetent in plugin development? The real reason is they don't want their plugs running on S3L/S6L

No, you misunderstood. That was MY evaluation of HDX when I got one trying to get past the PT10 barrier last year. I ended up returning it after I'd really putting it through its paces on actual sessions and tried to make it work for me. It could not keep up with my HD4 system. Too few plugins. Too high of latency. Too little power.

I think the real reasons that Waves did not go over were the amount of manpower it required, and the fact they wanted to go with an Intel solution (which they pushed AVID for).
Old 03-20-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
The only time I have had latency troubles is when I hadn't realized (user error) that I was using a native plugin between two TDM plugins or something similar.
You have perfectly illustrated the picture of DSP systems being inferior to pure native, if native processing is to be used at all.

I have mostly used TDM-only sessions, and only experienced mixed (DSP+native) sessions to find out that it is better to leave the DSP out of the equation altogether.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
No, you misunderstood.
Sorry, my bad.

Quote:
I think the real reasons that Waves did not go over were the amount of manpower it required, and the fact they wanted to go with an Intel solution (which they pushed AVID for).
Their Intel box was inferior the day it was introduced. I have heard or nobody who has paid money to buy one of those boxes. I have only heard legends of some Waves evangelists who have had free gear.

Their reasoning for their unfortunate choice was that they did not want their plugs to run on Avid live consoles, like the TDM versions ran on VENUE
Old 03-20-2017, 12:24 PM

I can't believe you're being serious. I'm done here. You're oblivious and part of the reason nobody actually understands how any of this works!

Good luck, ProPower. You're the only person left in this thread qualified to answer anyone's questions.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
On hdx If I only use native plugins they get disabled on record input so there isn't latency at all. Or is there?
On all digital systems there is this law that computer cannot guess what comes next, so you always have at least one sample of latency. Whether you have all-DSP or all-native or mixed system. Doesn't matter. The question is: how are we going to handle this latency? Another question would be: how much latency?

Take a quick peek at the calculations: DSP+NATIVE=A and: NATIVE=B, which of those (A or B) is smaller if we assume same native buffer is being used?
Old 03-20-2017, 12:30 PM

I went from am hd6accel to an hdx2 (now an hdx3) and it was way better than the tdm system. I have not any latency issues as before and it has tons of power for aax dsp and native stuff I use like slate and reverbs I have the mac pro 12 core . Hdx has been great all around as the function of protools 12hd is way pass pt10hd.