Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-18-2016, 04:53 PM

Default PT 8 LE not recognizing Mbox Mini 3 on El Capitan

So I just updated my MacBook Pro's OS to El Capitan awhile back and realized that Pro Tools no longer recognizes my M Box. I finally got some time today to do some troubleshooting, but after a few hours of frantic googling, I haven't yet found a solution.

I'm runnning Pro Tools 8 LE, my interface is a MBox Mini (3rd Gen), and my OS is El Capitan Version 10.11.4

I tried downloading the most recent drivers for the 3rd Gen MBox mini, but the uninstaller that came with it gave me an error message. I have no idea how to manually install the drivers, and a quick google search gave me info on how to do so, but the info was from 2014 so it didn't apply to my OS.

I really don't know what the best move to make would be..

any help?
Old 05-18-2016, 05:16 PM

Default Re: PT 8 LE not recognizing Mbox Mini 3 on El Capitan

You have to be running 12.3 and up for el capitan....

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart
Old 05-18-2016, 10:46 PM

Default Re: PT 8 LE not recognizing Mbox Mini 3 on El Capitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogBaseball View Post
I'm runnning Pro Tools 8 LE, my interface is a MBox Mini (3rd Gen), and my OS is El Capitan Version 10.11.4
Unfortunately there ainīt anything working of these components together in this set up.

Mac OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard was the last version of OS X Pro Tools LE8 (version 8.0.5)
was supported with. Thatīs just 5 versions of OSX later now.
Even it might sound kinda funny but you are not the first MBox 3 user reporting issues
trying to use the MBox 3 on OS X 10.11.4 however, please, note that the the latest driver
was only supported up to 10.11.3.
Sometimes such small kinda updates do not really matter and things keep on working like
before. In this particular case the MBox 3 driver seems to have a problem with the next
higher update of OS X. However you canīt blame Avid as they do say it on their support page
quite clearly...latest driver useable up to OS 10.11.3 only.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...x-Mini-Drivers

So what can you do?
First of all you will have to decide if you want to use Pro Tools further on, secondly, if your answer
will be -yes-, what it will be worth it to you to be up and running with your music recording system
again.

See, you actually have 3 options.
1) roll back your OS X to 10.6.8 Snow Leopard again and use Pro Tools LE8.0.5 with your MBox 3
successfully. This would mean to give up your current version of OS X, El Capitan.
2) Stay with OS X El Capitan and invest in a Pro Tools update, maybe in a more current
audio interface as well. In the worst case even your computer may be outdated for all the latest stuff
but you will see.
3) Stay with OS X El Capitan, get a small, very affordable new interface and give up Pro Tools. Use
Garageband for example which has developed to be a serious little, useable DAW with a lot of features,
plugins and VIs and which will come for free with your new version of OS X.
In this case your computer should be no issue as well because Garageband will be not such a demanding
application like Pro Tools at the end of the day.

In detail.
1) Everything has been said about this option actually.

2) With this option you will have to invest a certain amount of money but you will get a current and fast
recording system finally which you may be able to use for years again.
a) you will have to get the current version of Pro Tools which will be version 12.
Unfortunately there is no upgrade path from PTLE to PT12 anymore which means you either will have to
buy the full version of PT12 or go with a subscription service for the full version of PT12 (you will rent the
software for a limited time).
The most affordable way to get the full version of Pro Tools 12 will be to register with these guys (will be
for free) http://audiodeluxe.com
and buy a PT12 combo license from them for $399.-.
http://audiodeluxe.com/products/avid...-101112-bundle
This is not nothing but still the best price out there. In the official Avid Store you will pay $599.- for the
same product.
For these $399.- you will get a perpetual Pro Tools combo license which will allow you to use PT12, 11 and 10.
This license you will own like your older Pro Tools. However it still will not include any updates or upgrades.
To receive these you will get a 1 year update/upgrade plan included with your purchase.

However this upgrade plan you will have to renew on an annual basis to receive further updates in the future.
Means, after the included year, you will have to pay $99.- every year to renew this upgrade plan.
If you should decide to NOT renew this plan in the future anymore, you still will be able to use your Pro Tools
software without any limitations (as of the last update before skipping the plan) but you will not receive further
updates in the future.
The positive thing with this new business model will be that you will not have to pay anything extra even for
main version upgrades within the year you will have paid for the plan. Means, the $99.- will include sub updates
(like 12.1-12.5 etc) as well as main version upgrades (like 12-13 etc).
So it still will be a fair deal if you want to stay with your Pro Tools DAW because even if the sub updates were free,
the customers had to pay a lot more than $99.- for upgrades from one main version to another in the past.

Second option to use Pro Tools 12 nowadays will be a subscription service on a monthly or annual basis. This actually
means to -rent- the full version of Pro Tools 12 for a limited time. Within this period of time the customer will receive
all updates and upgrades as well which means he always will work with the latest version of Pro Tools software.
In this case however if the time of the subscription will be expired the user will not be able to use Pro Tools anymore
unless he decides to extend his subscription. Check it out there.
http://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDe...alUser=&store=
b) because your MBox 3 had been released in 2010 and was made for much older versions of OS X, Pro Tools and
computers itīs definitely on itīs way to become legacy for all the current stuff. Even if Avid should release another
driver for 10.11.4+ they will stop supporting the series 3 devices soon. The series 2 interfaces are not supported
anymore (for the latest version of Mac OS X and PT), the series 3 interfaces will be next.
Means, if you decide to invest in an upgrade of your Pro Tools software, you will have to look out for a more current
audio interface too, sooner or later. There are really nice, fast and modern boxes out there which will not cost you an
arm and a leg yet offering mic pre and converter quality 2 classes above the MBox.
Just two examples.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TAC2R
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Clarett2Pre

c) here we are as it comes to the computer itself. First of all itīs important that it will have the suiting ports to connect
your new audio interface. These 2 from the links above are Thunderbolt interfaces which of course need a Thunderbolt
port to be connected to your Mac successfully. Well, there are modern USB audio interfaces out there as well, itīs just
that if you invest money in a new interface, Thunderbolt is the faster, better and more future proof solution finally.
Anyway.
What you definitely will need for Pro Tools 12 will be a modern processor (preferably an i7 Quad Core), 16GB Ram
and a fast OS drive (7200rpm HDD at least, SSD preferred).
If you can upgrade the Ram and the drive (to a SSD for example) with your older Mac, even a not so powerful processor
may still work however there will be no guarantee. Pro Tools 12 loves i7 Quad Core processors to work as it is supposed to.
You see, you must be aware of that it could take a certain amount of money to go the Pro Tools upgrade route.
Nevertheless it could be worth it if you can afford it as Pro Tools never has been more attractive and offering more before.
Pro Tools 12 Native now comes with many features which were reserved to Pro Tools HD only before (Input Monitoring,
VCA Faders, Disk Cache etc) and many new ones (high quality Offline Bounce options, Track Freeze, Track Commit etc).
Check it out there.

http://www.avidblogs.com/pro-tools-1...and-new-price/
http://www.avid.com/pro-tools/features

So I think thatīs it so far as for the Pro Tools LE to Pro Tools 12 upgrade option.

3) this option would mean to stay with OS X El Capitan and your current computer for sure however to forget Pro Tools
(and use another, more affordable or even free music recording software) and to replace your MBox with a more current
yet very affordable little audio interface.
The problem with the MBox will be that it will not work with any DAW anymore if there will be no driver working with OS X
10.11.4+ and Avidīs Core Audio drivers have not been working well at all anyway.
However if money will be an issue and you will not use Pro tools software anymore you can use a smaller, more affordable
interface as well. Garageband DAW for example will work with many low cost interfaces as well unlike Pro Tools which is way
more picky with interfaces.

What would be a decent quality yet very affordable option in this case, would be the little Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for example.
http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-2i2-...e+scarlett+2i2
Itīs compatible with OS X El Capitan and it does sound a lot better than the MBox 3. Further it does not need any driver nor
software because itīs class compliant which just means plug and play on Macs. Great little box indeed.
You may find yourself other interfaces as well but mind to check itīs compatibility as for OS X El Capitan before buying it.

Whatīs important to know in the case of updating your Pro Tools to version 12 as well: there is no RTAS or AAX 32bit format
anymore! Plugins and VIs do ONLY work as AAX 64bit versions in Pro Tools 12.
You seriously have to check out all your 3rd party plugins and VIs for AAX 64bit versions before installing Pro Tools 12.
Many manufacturers offer the upgrades of their plugins/VIs to AAX 63bit for free, for some you will have to pay.
Anyway donīt try to install any of your old RTAS (or any AAX 32bit versions) plugins/VIs on the new OS X El Capitan+Pro Tools
12 system! It will not even not work in Pro Tools but also kinda mess up the whole PT system because Pro Tools 12 has changed
a lot inside compared to PTLE8 (64bit app instead of 32bit app, new code etc).

I hope I have covered it all so far and it will help you find out which route to go finally.

The best of success to you, VRW