Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2016, 05:33 PM

Default iMac 5K and PT12 ?

I'm looking into a new Mac and on paper the latest iMac 5k looks like a fit. I've noticed several post from users having issues with the latest high res iMacs though. Feedback from any users with 5k iMacs running PT12 trouble free would be much appreciated. Those having issues please feel free to chime in as well.

Manny Thanks!
Old 04-24-2016, 02:05 AM

Default Re: iMac 5K and PT12 ?

I just purchased a 5k iMac and have installed and launched Pro-Tools 12.5 without mishap. Once I've got my audio interfaces configured how I want them l'll report back the running of the test session in this thread. I did avoid the fusion drive and went with the SSD Flash drive, bought 32gb of crucial ram and installed it myself (very easy) and bought external usb3 HD and CD/DVD burner from OWC. Also bought a usb track ball and keyboard so I could switch off blue tooth as well as a top drawer powered 10 port usb3 hub to extend the connection options. The iLok2, Steinberg dongle, storage drive, keyboard and trackball get along fine on the hub which left the other 3 ports open for audio drive, interface and optical drive. The other interface is on the thunderbolt port.
Again, I'll report back once I load up a session but so far so good.
Focusrite Clarett 8preX/Audient ID22 / UA Apollo Twin Duo-Thunderbolt / Harrison Mixbus and Mixbus 32c/ Wavelab Pro 9.5/Cubase Pro 10/ Logic Pro-X/Final Cut ProX/NI Komplete 10/Reaktor 6/ Kontakt 6/Cinematic Studio Strings/Solo String/Piano/ Synthogy American Steinway D/Superior Drummer 3.0 NY Studio/Omnisphere 2.6/ Collection/Waves Grand Masters/Waves Abbey Road Plates/Waves Gold/Waves H-Delay&H-Comp/Many UAD2 Plugins

Last edited by BSR6P-Bob; 04-24-2016 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-24-2016, 06:47 AM

Yes, please do report back, Bob. I'm thinking of going in the same direction. My biggest concern at this point is with how well El Capitan and PT 12 are going to get along. I'm hoping fixes in the near future by both will improve the situation.

But my possible new configuration (see my post "New Gear on my Horizon") is very similar to yours. It sounds like you and I have read up and are heeding the same advice from other DUC posters.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlerbri View Post
Yes, please do report back, Bob. I'm thinking of going in the same direction. My biggest concern at this point is with how well El Capitan and PT 12 are going to get along. I'm hoping fixes in the near future by both will improve the situation.

But my possible new configuration (see my post "New Gear on my Horizon") is very similar to yours. It sounds like you and I have read up and are heeding the same advice from other DUC posters.
Indeed we are. I'm upgrading from my last system, a 2001 ( or so) Digi001 that I had on a custom built PC. It served me well all these years. 32 tracks and no issues. I just gave it to a musical friend and her husband last week who should still get good use from it. THAT's the kind of longevity and stability I'm looking for. Lock in the most stable versions of the software that play well together and forget any more upgrades. I think the trick is being smart enough to know when not to upgrade (read;wreck) the system you're depending on.
I think what made the Digi001 great was it had to stop at 6.4.

I'm hoping to configure the interfaces today. I'll post back when I have.
Focusrite Clarett 8preX/Audient ID22 / UA Apollo Twin Duo-Thunderbolt / Harrison Mixbus and Mixbus 32c/ Wavelab Pro 9.5/Cubase Pro 10/ Logic Pro-X/Final Cut ProX/NI Komplete 10/Reaktor 6/ Kontakt 6/Cinematic Studio Strings/Solo String/Piano/ Synthogy American Steinway D/Superior Drummer 3.0 NY Studio/Omnisphere 2.6/ Collection/Waves Grand Masters/Waves Abbey Road Plates/Waves Gold/Waves H-Delay&H-Comp/Many UAD2 Plugins
Old 04-24-2016, 10:50 AM

I am using that iMac with 10.11.4(latest El Capitan) and PT 12.5(vanilla). So far the only issues I have are the laggy graphics issue Avid can't seem to solve, and cpu spikes when using Amplitube. I don't track more than 10 at once, rarely have more than 25-30 tracks on a tune, never use video or VI or midi. Multiple plugs, moderate amount of edits and automation.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR6P-Bob View Post
I just purchased a 5k iMac and have installed and launched Pro-Tools 12.5 without mishap. Once I've got my audio interfaces configured how I want them l'll report back the running of the test session in this thread. I did avoid the fusion drive and went with the SSD Flash drive, bought 32gb of crucial ram and installed it myself (very easy) and bought external usb3 HD and CD/DVD burner from OWC. Also bought a usb track ball and keyboard so I could switch off blue tooth as well as a top drawer powered 10 port usb3 hub to extend the connection options. The iLok2, Steinberg dongle, storage drive, keyboard and trackball get along fine on the hub which left the other 3 ports open for audio drive, interface and optical drive. The other interface is on the thunderbolt port.
Again, I'll report back once I load up a session but so far so good.
Sounds like you've covered most of the known issues so hopefully your good. Will be very interested to know how things go for you though so please do report back.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormking69 View Post
I am using that iMac with 10.11.4(latest El Capitan) and PT 12.5(vanilla). So far the only issues I have are the laggy graphics issue Avid can't seem to solve, and cpu spikes when using Amplitube. I don't track more than 10 at once, rarely have more than 25-30 tracks on a tune, never use video or VI or midi. Multiple plugs, moderate amount of edits and automation.
Thanks for the info. Can you tell me more about your iMac? Which Hard Drive, i7/i5 and RAM? Also is it Haswell or Skylake?
Old 04-25-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybership View Post
Thanks for the info. Can you tell me more about your iMac? Which Hard Drive, i7/i5 and RAM? Also is it Haswell or Skylake?
Avoid the Fusion drive

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-27-2016, 06:00 AM

It's bad. If you want to read my rant, please continue:)

Update: It might have more to do with cpu usage, as freezing all the tracks makes it almost lag free.

late 2015 5k
3.2 i5
32 GB Ram
SSD via USB3
AMD Radeon r9 m380 2048

Pro tools 12.5

It's horrendous. Quite a heavy session about 75%cpu

It lags like crazy. Scrolling is the worst, a second or two lag there. Resizing the window is also seriously laggy. Meters in edit window lag.

When opening a plugin like Slate VMR or Sound toys effect rack(already inserted, just opening it) First nothing happens, then the plugin window is black, then the rest loads, and finally the list to the left appears. Takes a second or two.

I'm actually wondering if the computer is all right. It's so much slower than my 2012 i7 mac mini with 1440p monitor.

It does not lag in other programs, like final cut pro x, so I'm guessing somethings up with my setup or Pro tools it self.

Last edited by Leon550; 04-27-2016 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon550 View Post
It's bad. If you want to read my rant, please continue:)

Update: It might have more to do with cpu usage, as freezing all the tracks makes it almost lag free.

late 2015 5k
3.2 i5
32 GB Ram
SSD via USB3
AMD Radeon r9 m380 2048

Pro tools 12.5

It's horrendous. Quite a heavy session about 75%cpu

It lags like crazy. Scrolling is the worst, a second or two lag there. Resizing the window is also seriously laggy. Meters in edit window lag.

When opening a plugin like Slate VMR or Sound toys effect rack(already inserted, just opening it) First nothing happens, then the plugin window is black, then the rest loads, and finally the list to the left appears. Takes a second or two.

I'm actually wondering if the computer is all right. It's so much slower than my 2012 i7 mac mini with 1440p monitor.

It does not lag in other programs, like final cut pro x, so I'm guessing somethings up with my setup or Pro tools it self.
Sorry to hear your having trouble. I see your using an external SSD. Do you use a Fusion drive for the OS and PT? Are all of your plugins updated to the latest version? Even when not in use, some plugins may cause problems if not up to date. If you haven't already please go over the troubleshooting list below. Let us know what you find.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/t...Optimize-10-11